Saison Salty's Smoked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltymirv

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
TYB Saison Blend I
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
68F
Tasting Notes
Smoke flavor is subtle to mild, but present
Grain

5 lbs (42.7%) Belgian Pilsner
3.3 lbs (28.4%) Weyermann Smoked Malt
1.4 lbs (12.1%) Weyermann Munich II
1.4 lbs (12.1%) White Wheat
.55 lbs (4.7%) Breiss Cara Munich

Hops

1.45 oz Hersbrucker @ 60 mins (20 IBU)
.75 oz Hersbrucker @ 15 mins (5 IBU)

Yeast

TYB Saison Blend I

Mash

This was a BIAB brew. We mashed in around 100F and slowly heated to 145F where it was held for 30 minutes. Then it was heated to 155F and held for another half hour.

Tasting notes

I don't have the best palate or beer vocabulary, but the smoke flavor varies between subtle and mild. Next time I might go a little higher on the smoke malt but its ok to leave it where it is as well. The yeast gives off some apple flavors when its young, which fades over time into generic pleasant fruitiness accompanied by some peppery/clovey flavor. I would use it again, but I'm not averse to using other strains. I was worried that it wouldn't finish dry enough since I used some crystal malt and dark munich, but the FG was plenty low. There is a hint of sweetness in the beer but its just a hint and rounds out the fruity notes from the yeast

Here's a color check for reference, 7.8 SRM estimated by BeerSmith. This was cold crashed but no gelatin

rtSBRSh.jpg

Back