Salt and Coriander in IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I'm snowed in and NEED to brew...but I'm missing some grains I need to make the style I wanted. What I DO have is the following:

3 lbs. wheat DME
3 lbs. Pilsner DME

Coriander
Sea Salt

1 oz. Cascade Hops
1 oz. Haulertau Hops
1 oz. Simcoe Hops

S-05 Yeast

Any advise to help a hopeless brewing addict?

My gut reaction would be to make a gose, throw the cascades in at flameout to try and get some grapefruit action going. I'd probably leave the simcoe in the freezer for this one, personally.

Well Gose WAS the original plan, but my aciduated malt is still in-route.

Anyone ever try salt in an IPA?

do you have anything to sour it with? cause you cant make a gose without some good souring stuff

im all for adventurous brewing, but salt in an IPA doesnt sound like itd be uniquely good. Plus 3 oz of hops isnt an IPA

all you can make is a pale wheat

I'm not trying to make a pseudo-gose, I'm just trying to toss together something with what I have.

I can deal with a pale wheat, but I hate turning down the opportunity to do something a little twisted.

Got any rosemary? Or other herbs? Fruit? I always wanted to try rosemary in a saison or hoppy ale.

3 lbs. wheat DME
3 lbs. Pilsner DME

Coriander
Sea Salt

1 oz. Cascade Hops
1 oz. Haulertau Hops
1 oz. Simcoe Hops

S-05 Yeast

Sounds like a classic recipe for an APA with a coriander twist and a dash of sea salt to increase the chloride to make it more sweet and malty if you like, call it a sweet APA.

Alternatively you could ditch the Cascade and Simcoe, stick to the Hallertauer and make it more of a European pale, something thats floral, spicy, sweet and with extra body. You could even make it into a lager.

Make an American wheat with the cascade as a late addition, hallertau to bitter. Use some orange rind, no big expense you can still eat the orange, and add the coriander late.

I tried infecting with a handful of grains once before, and I got a ton of unwanted yucky bugs that made the beer taste like...well, puke. I might give it another go though.

do you have anything to sour it with? cause you cant make a gose without some good souring stuff

im all for adventurous brewing, but salt in an IPA doesnt sound like itd be uniquely good. Plus 3 oz of hops isnt a good IPA

fix't

Back