Salt addition to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szap

Reaction score
I am about to brew a clone recipe of Los Locos beer from BYO. The recipe calls for a sea salt addition after the diacetyl rest and instead of an amount it says "to taste". I know taste is very subjective and have read about using a salt water solution. My question is does anybody have experience adding salt to homebrew? How much added to 5 gallons would be too much? Just looking for some rough guidelines.

No experience regarding brewing and salt, but I used to make salt water for hydration. Something like 1 tsp per .5 gal. Try it and modify salt taste in something like 64oz of bmc light.

When you get the taste you like, multiply that number by 7. I know that math says 1/2 gal is 1/10 of 5 gal, but you cannot take salt out whereas you could always dose your pint if it needs more.

Last edited:
fwiw I add NACL to the strike and sparge liquor per style, for NEIPAs roughly 5 grams of salt for a 10g batch results in a noticeably fuller/rounder mouthfeel.
I've never gone the objective-dosing route with any brewing salt though I s'pose that's something I ought to do just on GPs...

Cheers!

Back