Salmonella in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nghtmre4u

Reaction score
I recently brewed a oatmeal porter that called for 2 oz of coco powder at last ten minutes of boil so go to the store buy a new container and add my 2 ounces this was a week ago. Today I get a message that the company has issued a recall of the coco due to a chance of salmonella contamination although no illnesses have been reported. Can salmonella survive the boil and live in the beer. This beer I think is one of the best brews I had hit all numbers fermentation temps were right on smells freaking fantastic. What do you guys think will it be ok or will I have a salmonella surprise stout instead of a oatmeal porter.

Salmonella bacteria grow at temperatures between 41 and 113 degrees F. They are readily destroyed by cooking to 160 F and do not grow at refrigerator or freezer temperatures. They do survive refrigeration and freezing, however, and will begin to grow again once warmed to room temperature.

Back