Saison Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite

Reaction score
So I am planning on brewing a tank 7 Clone but have some issue with ferment temp. Still very mild weather here in Colorado and my basement is parked at 60F. My though is make a starter with WLP565 let it go for 4-5 days then pour off spent wort and add new wort and pitch with a more aggressive strain say Belle Saison or a champagne yeast and let that go for another several days. Will i get benefit from both yeasts? In other words full attenuated at a somewhat cooler temp then ideal.

I would make the starter with just 565 and pitch that in your beer. Try to keep it as warm as you can.

If it does stall, then you can pitch Belle Saison to finish it up. Or you could just use Belle Saison from the start (or something like WY3711), but I'm assuming you want the character from the 565.

Don't use the champagne yeast, definitely don't use it in your starter though.

66 is still better than 60. I would keep it upstairs. I have a similar situation, but I am just going to wait a month until it warms up to do my saison.

Put your fermentor in a bigger plastic tub and cover it. It will hold in all the heat generated from ferm and the fluctuations from your house temp won't get in. This is what I'm doing with a saison right now. And I have a light bulb pointing into my tub as well

I would use only the Belle Saison, and pitch it pretty warm, then wrap the fermenter up in foam or blankets, etc. I use "egg crate" foam they sell for matress pads, etc. It is readily available and inexpensive, and makes a good insulator. Fiberglass batt insulation is better yet. The yeast will go right to work and the temp should stay up there pretty good. The Bell Saison throws off a lot of fruity and spicy flavor.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back