Saison-ish beer. Mixing yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
So I plan on brewing a Belgian beer in a month or so for my next batch. Last time I was at the store I picked up a 4 month old vial of WLP530 that I revived and want to put it to use. I have been trying to think of some recipes to use it for.

I've come up with the following to make a light, sweet, honey flavored Saison-ish style beer that has the aroma and flavor of some American hops and maybe EKG. I'm not crazy about Belgians, especially when they get too funky. Recently I picked up a pack of Evil Twin Ryan and the Beaster Bunny and its quite good. The esters are dialed down and the finish to me is almost like an unsweet candy. I want to get something like this with this beer. I don't want a clone, just similar.

I was thinking of things to try. I have US05 which I use often and WLP530. I was considering splitting the batch into two and mixing 05 and 530 in one. Has anyone done this? The idea was to get a relatively clean profile with a tad bit of Belgian character. I have thought of a few options:

-Mix 50/50 and let it rip - but I don't know which will dominate.
-Allow 05 to ferment until almost finished then allow 530 to finish up - but I figured that most aromas and flavors would come from the log phase and I might miss out of some of that Belgian character...or would I?
-Just ferment 530 colder than normal (~68-70) and let it do its thing.

My recipe so far:
5g
Yeast: WLP530 (Abbey Ale)
OG Est: 1.064
FG Est: 1.010
Starter: Ofcourse
IBU: 24.2
SRM: 4.8

8.75 lbs Pils
1 lb White Wheat
.5 lb Honey Malt
.5 lb Table Sugar
--------------------
EKG @ 60
1/4 Oz Palisade @ 20
1/2 Oz Palisade @ 2
1/2 Oz Amarillo @ 2
1/4 Oz EKG @ 2

If anyone has suggestions for the recipe I will be interested. I am somewhat fixed on the grain bill. The hop schedule I want to be somewhat fruity but not to be overly expressed with grapefruit. I have a few varieties of hops on hand like cascade, centennial, simcoe, fuggles, tettnang (US), willamette, saaz (US-OLD), apollo, and probably more I can't think of now. I also have spices like pepper, grains of paradise, anise, hibiscus, cinnamon, corriander, and orange peel.

I'll probably mash at 150 or so to get it a bit dry. I usually mash at 1.25 qts/lb and average tot efficiency of 78. Anyway thanks for reading all of this. I appreciate any thoughts some experienced brewers have to offer.

If I were doing it I think I'd go for the last option - fermenting it cooler. With the second option I agree I don't think you'll get anything from the Belgian yeast, and the first sounds unpredictable. I've used 3787/530 quite a bit and have experimented a little with different fermentation temps and schedules. I have settled on pitching at 66 then letting it slowly rise to about 74. Keeping it under 70 for the bulk of fermentation IME leads to some spicy flavors, with the fruit being light and more pear/apple than banana/bubblegum. It also avoids the phenolics which I can't stand.

There's a chart in Brew like a Monk that white labs apparently supplied on their yeast characteristics by fermentation temp. For 530 under 66* is supposed to be peppery/spicy/light phenol, 67-75* = spicy/light phenol/fruity, and over 75* = spicy, phenolic, solvent. I guess I agree but it seems like the ranges are pretty wide to be super useful.

I will probably just pitch at 65 then let it sit on the basement floor. I doubt it will make it over 70 in the cool basement but we shall see. I have seen that chart but it seems a bit unreliable. Its always better to get first hand experiences.
Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back