Saison Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Can someone help me out with a Saison Hop Schedule? I'd like to use Citra and Amarillo. I think I need a 90 minute boil. Thanks

I think they were traditionally hoppy.... But not by today's standards.

I brew a lot of hoppy saisons with 'new school' hops. Last batch I did with Nelson and Citra was 1.054, 1/2 oz at 60 and the reast late, then 1 oz dryhop. Next batch I'm going to play around with first wort and maybe a 30 minute addition instead of the 60.

I brew a lot of hoppy saisons with 'new school' hops. Last batch I did with Nelson and Citra was 1.054, 1/2 oz at 60 and the reast late, then 1 oz dryhop. Next batch I'm going to play around with first wort and maybe a 30 minute addition instead of the 60.

1/2 oz of each at 60? how much of each late?

How's this look. 90 minute boil

.25oz Citra 13.9 AA - FWH

.75oz Citra 13.9 AA - 10 MIN
.25oz Amarillo 9.6 AA - 10 MIN

.5oz Citra 13.9 AA - flameout
.5oz Amarillo 9.6 AA - flameout

dry hop?

How's this look. 90 minute boil

.25oz Citra 13.9 AA - FWH

.75oz Citra 13.9 AA - 10 MIN

dry hop?

I'd probaly do a larger FWH and smaller 10 min. Too much late hopping without early tends to be cloying, IMO.

I'd probaly do a larger FWH and smaller 10 min. Too much late hopping without early tends to be cloying, IMO.

thanks. better? -

.5oz Citra 13.9 AA - FWH

.25oz Citra 13.9 AA - 10 MIN

dry hop?

thanks. better? -

.5oz Citra 13.9 AA - FWH

.25oz Citra 13.9 AA - 10 MIN

dry hop?

That looks pretty good to me assuming you're around mid 1.050s. Some folks don't think FWH is a bittering addition and calculate it as 20. I think that's wrong, for a 90 min boil I'd calculate it as 120.

i'm using brewersfriend.com, and they actually have a first wort setting, which with that bill gives 22.95 ibu. if I do 120 minutes i get 35.55 ibu, so who knows! My planned OG is 1.052. thanks

I'm on a similar experiment, but decided to go big! For 12gal I used:

.6 oz Calypso 15.6 FWH
1 oz Styrian Goldings 3.8 10 min
1 oz each Amarillo, Calypso, and Glacier Flameout with 30 min whirlpool/hot stand (thanks to my CFC clogging)

Looks like about 32 IBUs, although I expect the extra 15-20 min hot stand may have bumped it up.

Gonna take my 1st gravity reading tomorrow & will report back.

Well, just did the hydro sample and it's at 1.030--odd for 3711 after five days, but it's blended w/ 530 and I've kept it low. Just brought out the heating pad to get things ramped up and dry 'er out.

As for the hops, they're surprisingly muted. I do get a firm bitterness and FANTASTIC floral/fruit aroma, but I think that the sugars left in the beer are really hiding the flavor. I'll check again in a few days after the warmed up yeast dry things out and report back.

Well, just did the hydro sample and it's at 1.030--odd for 3711 after five days, but it's blended w/ 530 and I've kept it low. Just brought out the heating pad to get things ramped up and dry 'er out.

As for the hops, they're surprisingly muted. I do get a firm bitterness and FANTASTIC floral/fruit aroma, but I think that the sugars left in the beer are really hiding the flavor. I'll check again in a few days after the warmed up yeast dry things out and report back.

Are you going to dry hop?

Are you going to dry hop?

You know, I wasn't planning to until you just suggested it. But I'll get 2 kegs out this and I dry hop in the keg, so I think an experiment is in order: 1 keg DH, one keg straight. I'll let you know how it goes.

I may use Calypso or maybe a mix with Calypso & Cascade. I'll have to see what will blend best.

Thanks for the inspiration, doublehaul!

I'd be not inclined to dry hop a Saison. I did just have a Saison du Buff - The Stone/Victory/Dogfish head collaboration that has parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Instead of a dry hop maybe some herbs?

You know, I wasn't planning to until you just suggested it. But I'll get 2 kegs out this and I dry hop in the keg, so I think an experiment is in order: 1 keg DH, one keg straight. I'll let you know how it goes.

I may use Calypso or maybe a mix with Calypso & Cascade. I'll have to see what will blend best.

Thanks for the inspiration, doublehaul!

Let us know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back