Saison Beer Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2rnewton

Reaction score
I am interested in making a saison beer. Thinking of a spice or floral flavor. Leaning towards a clover, squash blossom or honeysuckle flavor. One of my co-workers is a gardener and threw these out for ideas.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a base beer kit? I usually buy from Annapolis Homebrew or Alternative Beverage and didn't come up with anything that jumped out at me.

Thanks

I too am interested in brewing up a saison for the summer. I have had kits from both northern brewer and Austin Homebrew Supply. They both have saison kits that look like they are pretty popular, I'm just not sure which one to go for yet

I just looked up 2 different saison kits at Northern Brewer. One is more of a summer beer, description below:

This session-strength Saison of summer pours tawny-gold and perfumes the air with tangy yeast and pungent hop aromas. The flavor is lightly earthy with spicy, flowery hops and a grain-and-bread malt character; caramel malt dukes it out with Saaz and Styrian Goldings through the middle before a palate-cleansingly dry finish.

Other is a darker one, description below:
A pre-modern Belgian style that was made in farmhouse breweries during spring. Saisons are brewed hoppy and fairly strong in order to keep through the summer, but these beers are fantastic all year long. A terrifically complex beer arising from the interaction of simple ingredients. Hops give a bracing bitterness and floral overtones, with striking spicy, peppery and earthy tartness from unique yeast. Serve in a wide-mouthed glass at cellar temperature to appreciate this beer's full range of aromas and flavors. Recommended: 2-stage fermentation and yeast starter.

I am thinking of this for my fall beer and thinking of some seasonal spice from the local area (MD, WV, VA area). Does anybody have thoughts on which on to go with?

I made up a saison recipe with some wheat and rye in it. Very peppery and magically delicious! Good luck on your endeavors! :mug:

Avery did a dry hopped Rye saison last year. It was delicious!
avery-eighteen.jpg

Are you guys getting your yeast shipped right now, or did you buy your yeast while it was cooler?

My Saison yeast showed up about 90+ degrees. Even the "cold" pack was hot to the touch! I made a starter, and everything was just fine!

I plan on ordering my yeast soon. Will just request an ice pack with shipping. I have not had a problem in the past.

Just racked my Saison to secondary over 6 pounds of cucumbers.
Just used 7lbs light DME and used a little 1.3lb wheat kicker addition at 15 minutes. 1oz summit @60, 1 ounce citra @10 and 1oz sorachi ace @5 and then another ounce at flameout. Used Wyeast 3711 and it went from 1.065 to 1.004 in 6 days. It smelt amazing when I was racking it over to secondary. Can't wait to drink this.

Back