Saints Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scouser007

Reaction score
So I have been on the quest for the perfect oatmeal stout recipe for a 5 gallon all grain brew. I started with a friends base recipe and have modified it around 8 times now. I like sam smiths and could not get mine to this level initially. But now I like what I made better than theirs, I know a bold statement right! I do not say this lightly.
To give you an idea of angles I tried, I have varied the yeast several times also using the sam smiths seasonal strain that they use. Comes out around next month. I have adjusted the mash temps, dextrin, AVB, oatmeal, all the grains, protein rests, not messed with the hops. I have even tried to not use oatmeal and get the flavor with just grains.
The last one I put out was amazing and of course is now gone. Given the amount of help my fellow brewers have given me I would like to share this one.
Saints Oatmeal stout
2 row UK 10lbs
Oats 3lbs (ONLY lightly roast 2 lbs this is critical)
Biscuit malt 1lbs
Chocolate malt .75lbs
Roasted Barley .75lbs
Crystal 40 .6lbs
Dextrin .5lbs
Vanilla bean - boil
Irish Ale WL 1084
2oz goldings at the start of the boil

Okay the Sam Smiths yeast I fermented at around 68-69 no choice at the time to go lower and it was not the way to go. The last brew I used irish ale yeast at 66 degrees.
I have tried varying amounts of oatmeal, DO NOT OVER DO IT! 2 lbs roasted with 1 lbs plain is the perfect amount. I roast it in the oven at 425.
Do not over do the biscuit malt or else it tastes like a german beer and is really strange.
Increase roasted barley to your liking I do not like a heavy roasted flavor I prefer it to be more mild and the other flavors blend into it. You can drop this out and increase the chocolate it does change the flavor a little, you will need a little more chocolate than roasted for a similar burned tone.
Special B instead of crystal added a bitter flavor that did not work well, could have offset it with less hops but it has a more astringent flavor than hops.
Vanilla bean in the boil, trust me on this one I hate adjuncts out of principal but this is needed. Do not add 2 beans its too much (and can affect head retention). One bean split down the middle in the hop bag adds a smooth silky finishing touch to the beer. You will not know what it is unless someone says vanilla bean.
I tried a few ABVs and modified the dextrin, mash temps, in accordance. I found above 6.5 was too much, you could taste the alcohol so it took away from the smoothness I expect from this style of beer. Below 5 was fine but nothing to write home about. 5 to 6.5 is where you get a little warmth but its still smooth and no issues with carbonation. Mash temp is 156, OG 1.070, SRM 32, ABV around 6.5, FG 1.02?

Please keep in mind I keg this one on nitrogen. The recipe is honed in on nitrogen (beer gas 75/25 N2/CO2). For the carbonation to happen you MUST blow down the top of the keg with beer gas. Use around 40 psi, and serve at around 20 psi. If you do not replace the head space it will only look right when the keg gets to 1/2 - 3/4 full. At first I thought it was beer gas plus vanilla bean oils and alcohol content, I was wrong.

I hope others like this one. What I can promise is it will get you right in the ball park of where you need to be and should have it the way you like it in only a few tries.

Simon

Thanks for the excellent level of detail and optimization you've done here... Having had countless mediocre oatmeal stouts (including several of my own), I'm looking forward to trying this one out some time this winter after my current stout supply kicks.

Looks yummy, I will give this a try...

A question, do you force carb with CO2 and then serve with beer gas or are you saying that you force carb with beer gas as well?

Make sure to force carb with beer gas. If you force carb with CO2 or do not clear the headspace you will only get the "Guinness" pour effect after you have drank a good portion of the keg. CO2 is a lot more acidic so there will also be a flavor change as it goes.

Latest posts

Back