Saflager S23 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to try the Saflager S23 yeast for my Oktoberfest tomorrow. I read the instructions on the Fermentis website and it says to rehydrate at 73*. No problem there. My question is do I pitch it into the 52* wort or do I cool the rehydrated yeast down to the 50's before I pitch it?

Cool the re-hydrated yeast down to 52f by feeding it some cold wort a little at a time so you don't shock the yeast. I generally pitch 20 grams of yeast also if using dry yeast for lagers.

Okay, during the boil I rehydrated 2 packs of the S23 at 73* per the website. Kept it on a stir plate as instructed for 30 minutes. Here is the stupid part. It's going to be a couple of hours before the wort is down to 53. If I just leave the yeast hydrated at room temperature until I am ready to pitch, any problem?

I would probably feed it a little wort and at least bring the yeast down to 52f as quick as I could within the tolerances of the yeast.
Dry yeast comes loaded with nutrients that are meant to give the yeast a flying start when hydrated, but these nutrients are quickly used up
so feeding it some wort will keep it more active and the colder temperature will slow down the yeast a little.
I generally don't re-hydrate my yeast until the wort is at fermenting temperatures.

I, and a lot of other people, have had terrible luck with S23, especially at normal lager temps. It becomes incredibly fruity. It seems that most people have better luck with it at more traditional ale temps, like in the mid 60s. Just a heads up.....

I, and a lot of other people, have had terrible luck with S23, especially at normal lager temps. It becomes incredibly fruity. It seems that most people have better luck with it at more traditional ale temps, like in the mid 60s. Just a heads up.....

I am at 60 now headed to 53 which is what their website says is ideal. Do you think I should stop there? Do you think the amount of fruityness (I know, not a word) would be influenced by types of malts?

I'm in the minority compared to Denny, but I've had good success with S-23 at 50-55° with nice clean, crisp, lagers produced.

Well, there ya go....toschner, go ahead with your origianl plan. It might work out just fine. You'll never know until you try.

Back