Safe to return the airlock after blowoff valve setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse D

Reaction score
20171218_210634.jpg
I had massive blowoff this morning, it has settled down, my question is, do I leave it like this for the next 2 weeks, or is it safe to return the airlock? View attachment 550339

Last edited:
There’s no harm in leaving the blowoff tube in place, but if you want, I’d at least wait a few days before replacing with an airlock (switching is perfectly safe). I suggest holding off because I have made the switch quickly only to find krausen in my airlock again. Your mileage may vary.

With the blow off collector above the fermentor I would replace the blow off assembly with the air lock. When the fermentor cools you will possibly get suck back of what ever is in the collector to your fermentor.

With the blow off collector above the fermentor I would replace the blow off assembly with the air lock. When the fermentor cools you will possibly get suck back of what ever is in the collector to your fermentor.
The blowoff bottle is almost a foot lower, just a bad angle for the picture. I think I will go back to the airlock tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Back