Safcider experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
Before anyone gets ancy, yes I did use the search function. I'm looking for a better body of information about people using this yeast as I'm looking at buying some. The most I could drum up was "Hey I put this stuff in it and it made alcohol". Looking at the tech sheet it seems like a really good candidate and since it's not capable of fermenting maltose might make it great for a semi-sweet cider using non-fermentables like a little bit of wheat DME (e.g. Graff). I get the H2S factor with pretty much all cider (never had a ferment that didn't stink to high heaven) but what about other characteristics? Esters? Glycerol production? Polyphenol polymerization? Anything! Seems like in such a large community there would be more input on yeast that's been around at least a couple of years. Unless it's unpopular, in which case, share that too!

I just got a package of Safcider yeast the other day too.
SAF%20Cider-500x500.jpg

I plan on making a 1 gallon test batch with 2 cups of honey. Ive read the sulfur smell is pretty strong during fermentation.

I bought a package of this last week because the LHBS did not have Montrachet. I'll keep an eye on this thread for more info as I have not researched this yeast yet. I've already learned something here (strong sulfur smell). :)

Mine was out of Montrachet too. It was the main reason i went to the shop. The basement is pretty cool this time of year so that might help with the smell.

for a lack of buying it I used AMH for my batch of apfelwein. But I plan on getting several packets and trying gallon trials in my spare time.

I don't have a lot of super scientific details, but I am in the process of doing a side-by-side comparison with EC1118 with two different OGs 1054 and 1064, starting with a gallon of cheap store bought juice, 1 tsp LC carlson yeast nutrient, and brown sugar to bump the OG in each of 4-1 gal fermentors. There has been a much longer lag time with Safcider. EC1118 started bubbling nicely within 12 hours and had a lot of airlock activity within 24 hours. Safcider with the higher OG has a small amount of airlock activity at 36 hours, the lower barely has any bubble formation. Additionally, the cake in 1118 is much larger. I am not sure if that helps.

Latest posts

Back