Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augie21

Reaction score
Brewed a milk stout two days ago, using the us-05 yeast. Fermentation took a about to start but is going strong. One problem potentially, I just noticed the fermometer is reading 78 degree. Higher than I wanted to ferment at. Likely has been at that temp for about 12 hours got it in a bath to drop the temp but does anyone know how big of esthers or other flavors I may be looking at? I'm hoping I caught it quickly enough to stave those flavors off, but I'm not sure if I did.

It's high but a stout may be able to cover any esters with the roasty grains. I wouldn't be too worried just give it some time.

I suspect you'll be fine. Ive fermented with that yeast many times before i had the ability to control temps and the beers turned out fine. 05, in my experience, is a very forgiving yeast.

US-05 is more forgiving than a lot of other yeasts. The esters will usually be produced the most starting around 18-24 hours after pitching until about 4 days into fermentation. I can't tell from your post how far into fermentation you noticed, but let's say you pitched the yeast at 78 degrees, and 12 hours later you noticed your mistake and brought the temperature down - in that case, you'd probably be fine. If you pitched at 70, then 2 days later noticed fermentation was going crazy and checked the temp to find it had risen to 78 because of the heat the yeast were generating, you might have some off-flavor development. That doesn't necessarily mean the beer will be undrinkable, either.

Next time you use this yeast, try pitching in the low 60's and ferment at 63-65. Then when fermentation slows down, let the temp come up to 68-70 to help the yeast finish. That process gives me a pretty clean fermentation with this yeast.

Details are, pitched the yeast at about 66 degrees. Took a whole for activity and was likely in that high range for about 12 hours. Maybe a bit less. I got it down to 69 degrees now. I can hopefully get it to drop a couple more degrees. Thanks for the input everyone.

Similar problem folks! i brewed a nice ale yesterday and pitched safale s-04 english ale yeast. living in ireland my usual worry about fermentation temperatures is that i cant get them high enough...but when i checked on the activity (which was vigourous to say the least) after 12 hours i realised the ambient temperature was 80. i've since moved it down to about 70 but i was wondering how to offset the bad flavours that may have developped. Would racking to secondary at a lower temperature for a month help the yeast clean itself up? i'd appreciate any tips or advice. thanks!

PS. also i have the option of either kegging or bottling after, depending on which might work best to break off the off flavors...

Similar problem folks! i brewed a nice ale yesterday and pitched safale s-04 english ale yeast. living in ireland my usual worry about fermentation temperatures is that i cant get them high enough...but when i checked on the activity (which was vigourous to say the least) after 12 hours i realised the ambient temperature was 80. i've since moved it down to about 70 but i was wondering how to offset the bad flavours that may have developped. Would racking to secondary at a lower temperature for a month help the yeast clean itself up? i'd appreciate any tips or advice. thanks!

PS. also i have the option of either kegging or bottling after, depending on which might work best to break off the off flavors...

I just answered this for you in your other post, and it looks like Yooper also answered you in another thread too. Get it down to 64 or so if you can, and don't rack it because that will take it off the yeast, and the yeast is what will help clean up certain off flavors. Leave it in primary for a month or more if you are worried about off flavors. They probably won't go away entirely, but it might help tone them down a bit.

You really don't have to post the exact same question in 3 different threads... People here are pretty good about responding and if you are given misinformation, usually someone else will jump in quickly with an alternative answer/suggestion.

Why you gotta bust his chops bro? He's just trying to get as many perspectives as he can and thought he'd take a shot by trying several threads. If you don't like it don't answer. Who died and made you Barney Fife?

Not trying to bust anyone's chops, just stating the facts.

Your beer should be okay. US-05 (a.k.a. the Ballantine strain, Siebel BRY-96, "Chico," Wyeast 1056, WLP001) is one of the most forgiving ale yeast strains on the planet. Plus, stout is so flavor positive that it can hide a multitude of brewing sins.

Latest posts

Back