Safale US-05 store temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
Hi, I keep my Safale US-05 in a fridge, but the temperature there was around 10 Celsius, which is below the recommended values. It was there for a month, can I use them, or they are wasted and better to buy a new one?

No, you can easily use it. I have stored dry yeast at room temp. for months and it was still good. I usually store them at around 1-3 C in my fridge ( got a very efficient one ), but up to 20C, it will still be good for months.

This is my personal experience, so you don't really have reasons to wrry about that. I have even used dry yeast which was about to expire and was still viable and made good beer.

Brew on!

Hmm?? I'm wondering why Safale would limit the lower storage temperature to 10C? There is no chance of it freezing and liquid yeast can be frozen if its modified with glycerin to 'reduce' the damaging effects of freezing.

I keep all my yeast in the refrigerator. Its still good years later.

This is from the data sheet for US-05
STORAGE 36 months from production date. During transport: The product can be transported and stored at room temperature for periods of time not exceeding 3 months without affecting its performance. At final destination: Store in cool (< 10°C/50°F), dry conditions.

Your yeast is good.

Last edited:
I keep my US-05 in the fridge but failed to do proper stock rotation....I discovered two sachets that had expired one year ago and out of date. Of course they had been refrigerated the entire time, but to be on the safe side, I rehydrated both of the sachets for a 5.5G batch. The yeast took off just as a fresh sachet would, good attenuation and no issues at all. I think dry yeast is pretty darn tough all in all.

Back