Safale s05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Just trying to unconfuse myself...
I have a blonde ale brewed yesterday and I pitched safale s05.. I know fermentation isn't immediate etc but I'm trying to figure out the best temp to go with. I have the temp probe taped to the primary and insulated (not perfect), I set the temp to 60.8f (16c) Ive also left the probe loose to measure ambient temp which is similar. My question is do I reduce the ambient down a little to allow for higher internal temp?

The best wort temperature for US-05 if 65°F to 68°F. Taping and insulating the probe on the side of the fermentor works.

During active fermentation the wort temperature will rise above the ambient. The wort can rise 3°F to 10°F depending on the OG of the beer and the ambient temperature. A 1.042 wort may rise about 3°. A 1.057 wort may rise about 5°. A 1.900 wort may rise about 10°. These are just estimated numbers. I watch the wort temperature and adjust as needed as the fermentation begins.

Ambient temperature should be set at a point lower than the optimum fermentation temperature. Your first time will be a estimate to keep the wort from over warming in the first 24 to 48 hours of the fermentation.

The wort being cooler is better than being to warm. With US-05 fermentation temperatures below 65°F will produce light peach flavors. To cool with this yeast can sometimes not be good though.

The best wort temperature for US-05 if 65°F to 68°F. Taping and insulating the probe on the side of the fermentor works.

During active fermentation the wort temperature will rise above the ambient. The wort can rise 3°F to 10°F depending on the OG of the beer and the ambient temperature. A 1.042 wort may rise about 3°. A 1.057 wort may rise about 5°. A 1.900 wort may rise about 10°. These are just estimated numbers. I watch the wort temperature and adjust as needed as the fermentation begins.

Ambient temperature should be set at a point lower than the optimum fermentation temperature. Your first time will be a estimate to keep the wort from over warming in the first 24 to 48 hours of the fermentation.

The wort being cooler is better than being to warm. With US-05 fermentation temperatures below 65°F will produce light peach flavors. To cool with this yeast can sometimes not be good though.

Ok... If I'm reading you correct: if I set the ambient at 60.8 and the og was 1.050 therefore fermentation temp should be around 65 f. If i increase ambient temp to 62f then the fermentation temp would be 66f. Im trying to keep as clean a taste a possible so I'll increase it by 1-2 degrees :)

When I use us-05 I go for 67. Tape the probe to the side of the carboy and let it go through active fermentation. I figure with my stc-1000 set the way it is with a one degree differential, it will stay within the range of 66-68.

Upped the temp to 62f and she is happily chugging away, not that she wouldn't have but its nice to treat the yeasties to their preferred temp :) if she gets over excited it shouldn't rise above 67/8f

That s05 teast is a beast...it's producing a beautiful white creamy krausen..... I set the temp at 62 and she's up to 64.5. Should produce nice clean flavour

Just had a quick look at this brew....she blew through the airlock, my first blow off:)

Latest posts

Back