Safale S-05 Fermenting at 50

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed an IPA using Safale S05 and put it in my fermentation chamber in the garage. Well the outside temp ended up getting pretty low almost every night this week so the inside temp of my fermentation fridge dropped to around 50 degress. What can I expect from this beer?
It has 5oz of hops in it so I was thinkging that might help mask any off flavors. What do you think?

I don't think you will see any off flavors from a low temp. The yeast may have slowed down or stalled but should start again if it's warmed a little bit. I Use S-05 in the low 60's all the time.

Personally, I've had horrible results under 59 degrees. A really strong peachy (not in a good way) aroma that overpowers anything and everything. At 57, I get this borderline rotten fruit aroma. Several of my buddies didnt get that and didnt think it was that bad, but also didnt think the beer was that great.

No idea what will happen lower than that. Good luck, and perhaps switch to notty during this season, it works very well below 60

05 can definitely get some weird peachy character if it gets too cold; I'd definitely keep it at or above 62ish (I love it around 64-65). That being said, it may be completely fine. I wouldn't worry about it, but see how it turns out and take the results as a lesson for the future. :)

Yup, US-05 run at those temps one should expect Peach City. Lots of threads on that one the forum. Stay above 63-64 and it's one of the cleanest strains available...

Cheers!

I've never experienced the peach flavor and have fermented as low as 58. If your temp was higher for the first couple of days I still think it will be ok.

Back