Sacc + Brett vs Sacc then Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
I'm doing an experiment to learn the difference between co-pitching a Sacc and Brett strain compared to letting the Sacc go first then with Brett in secondary.

My question is how to handle the Sacc/Brett batch? Should I leave in primary the whole time? Rack to secondary when primary is almost done (so it creates some more CO2 in secondary to get rid of oxygen) or wait longer until primary is completely done?

It's 3711 French Saison and Brett B

Rack to secondary when primary is almost done for the oxygen scrubbing benefits. Almost more important than the transfer timing is that you minimize the headspace in secondary as much as possible. The Brett will absorb most of the O2 fairly readily.

You might want to think about other sacc options. 3711 leaves almost nothing behind (ultra-high attenuation) for the Brett to feed on over the course of the secondary, so you may not end up with as noticeable a Brett character as you might expect/hope for. You might consider WLP565 or Wyeast 3724 instead. Not only are those yeasts more interesting than 3711 on their own, they typically take a long time to complete their fermentation. This leaves an opening for the Brett to take hold and create some interesting character. Just my experience/opinion.

Thanks for the advice. Agree on 3711, researching for another option for the future. But like the advice to rack early

Back