S-04 fermenting "hot"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
I pitched a rehydrated pack of S-04 into a beer Sunday afternoon. Wort temp was 68F. Ambient temp of my fermenting fridge was 66F.

I usually use US-05 for most of my standard beers. With this yeast, I can usually get pretty consistent temps when setting my ambient temp about 2F lower than my wort temp. By consistent, I mean that fermenter's the stick-on thermometer and the temp on the setting dial for my fridge controller are usually within 2 degrees of each other. The fermenter's sticky thermometer usually stays 2F higher than what I have the controller set at until active fermentation subsides.

This is my first try with S-04. And I have been having trouble keeping the temp down. I got home last night and my fermenter thermometer read 72F while my fridge controller was set at 68F. So I knocked back the fridge controller to 66F and went to bed.

Ambient temp of the garage where the fridge is has been a pretty consistent 65F for several days now.

When I got up this morning, the beer was still showing 72F. So I knocked back the temp setting to 62F on my fridge controller and will see what I have when I get home from work.

Has anybody else had trouble with this yeast throwing off that much heat? Is it really that active a fermenter?

O4 is usually faster to start fermenting and usually runs hotter than the 05. Just like you're describing.
And just like you're doing... adjust! : )

Do you have space to put the fermenter in a water bath? This can help stabilize the temperature more effectively than air alone. I would also stick the element from your temp controller on the fermenter itself if possible.

-David

Maybe I'm not understanding your scenario correctly, but does your temp controller have a probe connected to it? Wrap that probe in a paper towel, and tape it to the side of your carboy, and it will control the temp of the fridge, based on the temp of your fermentation.

Maybe I'm not understanding your scenario correctly, but does your temp controller have a probe connected to it? Wrap that probe in a paper towel, and tape it to the side of your carboy, and it will control the temp of the fridge, based on the temp of your fermentation.

It has a probe. I thought about wrapping it in a towel but thought the evaporation of the water would cool the probe and only widen the gap between the temp of the beer and temp of the probe.

I do have the probe taped directly to the side of the BetterBottle. With US-05, this has always consistently allowed me to keep the beer (as measured by the stick on thermometer, and a weather thermometer probe I tape to the side of the fermenter as well) within 2 degrees of the set temp of my temp controller.

The beer had cooled considerably when I got home tonight. I am now sitting at 66F, with my fridge controller set at 60F. I'm guessing what worksnorth said is likely to work for me. I just need to adjust my temp controller to account for the heat this yeast produces. That and I will need to watch closely over the next couple of days so that I can turn my temp controller back up as fermentation slows.

While we are on the subject of what to expect from yeast performance, what about Nottingham? The beer I have on deck will use Notty and it's my first time using this strain. Any temp concerns here. Does it also run a little hot?

The fellers are right, I strap my temperature probe to the carboy that I think will ferment the hottest with a small belt of neoprene and let my temp controller run the freezer up or down which ever way it needs to go to keep my fermenting brew at the temp I want. In the winter we let our garage where the freezer is get down into the 50's so I've got a heat blanket on low and a small fan in the freezer to actually help keep the freezer warm enough for fermenting ales

Back