Rye Whiskey Barrel Imperial Smoke Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmpdmnky

Reaction score
So as a result of someone getting me an awesome birthday present, I currently have a 2 liter barrel filled with rye whiskey. It's approaching the point where I want to bottle and here's what I was considering doing with it:

Batch vol: 3.5 gal
Anticipated OG: 1.074

2# 2-row Pale 21.9%
0.75# Caramel 120L 6.9%
0.6# Chocolate Malt 4.9%
0.35# Carapils 3.2%
0.35# Peated Malt 3.7%
3.5# Pilsen Light DME 59.3%

I haven't decided on hops yet, but I was thinking bittering + Willamette or something else earthy to 60ish IBU

I would rack to the barrel after primary, then blend it 50/50 with a portion of the batch, ending up with about 2 gal of an imperial smoked porter and 1 gal rye whiskey aged.

Any thoughts? I've never barrel aged anything or made a smoked porter, so any advice is welcome.

The rye whiskey is actually moderately smoky (I believe the grain was 30% smoked), which is why I thought a smoked porter would work. Another option is to not add the peated malt and let the smokiness from the whiskey shine on its own.

I'd dump out maybe 3/4 of the whiskey, then put a portion of the beer in there and age 2 weeks. I'd leave out the peat malt completely. I have 5 lbs. of that stuff, and yet to use an ounce. Gross.

Back