Rye saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looneybomber

Reaction score
For Avery's 18th anniversary, they released a dry hopped rye saison. I loved it, although it does get mixed reviews.

Digging through the recipes on here, there is the 2011 HBT rye saison that looks interesting. To modify it a little and hopefully get it closer to the Avery brew, what do you think of this overall recipe?

5.5gal batch.

Malts:
2lbs 2-row
4.5lbs rye
4lbs pilsner LME
2lbs brown sugar

Hops:
1oz styrian goldings (60min)
1oz williamette (60min)
1oz cascade (dry hop)

Yeast:
Wyeast 3711

Can you partial mash 6.5 lbs?

Also, any reason for 2row instead of pilsner? Rye has plenty of ability to convert.

Can you partial mash 6.5 lbs?

Also, any reason for 2row instead of pilsner? Rye has plenty of ability to convert.
The most I can partial mash is ~14lbs. I went over that and it wasn't too fun. Both times I've partial mashed, I hit 75-77%.

I chose 2-row over pilsner only because I didn't think rye could convert itself. Just for a little extra conversion power, I could do 2lbs pilsner instead of 2-row.

I just put together this one...

3lbs Belgian Pilsner
3lbs briess rye malt
1lbs caramunich
3.15lbs Pilsen lme
1lbs d-45 candi
2oz Styrian Goldings @60
1oz Styrian Goldings @0
Wyeast 3711

I currently have enough ingredients at home to brew 4 different 5 gallon batches and i have 2 different batches in secondaries right now...and I'm constantly out of town for work...so, as much as I wanna do this, it might have take a backseat for bit, but it looks like it could be delicious!

Anything over 40L or so should self convert, if slowly. Check your rye to see its rating. Even if it's low, an equal amount of most any base malt should be enough to ensure conversion.

Latest posts

Back