Rye PA Recipe (Critiques Welcome)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riddell999

Reaction score
I'm still definitely a noob, and this will be my first attempt at a Rye PA. What do you think?

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
6 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 1
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Grain 2
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 3
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] (8.0 SRM) Grain 4
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 5
0.5 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 10 min Hops 6
0.5 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 5 min Hops 7

Whoa! That's a lot of rye. Most rye-PAs are more like 30% at maximum.

Were you planning to BIAB? If you had a cooler and a full mash on this, it would be tough to sparge that much rye--it gets very gummy without a protein rest--but with BIAB you might manage it okay. I've never done a rye-only mash or a rye-only BIAB, so I have no idea how it'd go, but if you're going to do BIAB, you might want to rebalance it a little to have, say, 3 lbs of rye, 1 lb of 6-row (has high enzyme content, which will help). Then you can bump up to 4 lbs of DME, or something like that. But you know your system and process better than we do.

I'm not sure how much hop aroma you want, but the other thing you might consider is doing another ounce of hop additions at flameout or at "hop stand" (that is, cool the wort to 180F, then throw in some hops and stop cooling for half an hour to let aroma seep in), or dry hop.

It does seem like a lot of rye, but if that's what you want, go for it. I would definitely dry hop the sh*t out of this with more Amarillo! Maybe up the 5 min and add a flameout too as motor neuron suggested.

Cool, y'all. Thanks! I am a hop fiend, so I'll likely up the hops at the end of the boil (or flameout) and dry hop as well.

As for the rye, I will definitely replace some of that rye with 6-row to bring it down to a better percentage. I think I must have tweaked some other things without realizing I got way out of whack with my rye. Thanks for the thoughts. I welcome others, too.

Yeah, just to be clear, I didn't mean that you wouldn't get a good taste from that much rye. I just meant it would be hard to mash that much rye.

I assume you are planning on using a chico yeast strain? If you want the rye to come across as spicy with a dry aftertaste, I would defintiely use a high attenuating yeast. I've done several rye beers and there are many factors that can affect how the rye will taste (i.e. if there is more crystal malt, then the rye is less percievable). Since you are using extract, you have less overall control over the FG. I like my rye PAs to finish around 1.010-1.012 to really accentuate the dryness.

It were me, I would bitter with something besides Simcoe (Warrior or Chinook) and move that to the flame out addition. I agree with the hopstand suggestion as well. If it were me, I would hop as follows (if you have extra hops):

0.5 Amarillo and 0.5 Simcoe at 10 min.
0.5 Amarillo and 0.5 simcoe at flame out.
1.0 Amarillo dry hop or hop stand.

Regardless, the beer will be delicious.

Yeah, just to be clear, I didn't mean that you wouldn't get a good taste from that much rye. I just meant it would be hard to mash that much rye.

On the contrary, I think mashing all that rye would be a breeze. Lautering, on the other hand...;)

I'd say a metric **** ton of rice hulls and a good beta-glucan rest would help if you want this much rye. Or just BIAB it, which might well be easiest. Still, would be an interesting beer. If you like rye, I say go for it!

It were me, I would bitter with something besides Simcoe (Warrior or Chinook) and move that to the flame out addition. I agree with the hopstand suggestion as well. If it were me, I would hop as follows (if you have extra hops):

0.5 Amarillo and 0.5 Simcoe at 10 min.
0.5 Amarillo and 0.5 simcoe at flame out.
1.0 Amarillo dry hop or hop stand.

Regardless, the beer will be delicious.

I did a very similar hop combination to my RyeIPA, used Cascades for bittering (because i had to get rid of the surplus i had) The beer came out delicious! The combination produced a great citrus aroma of oranges and grapefruit. I will definitely do this again.

I used 5 lbs 2-row 2lbs malted rye, I think i could have used a tad more rye to bring out the spiciness a bit more. Had no problems sparging with 20% rye and no rice hulls.

:tank:

I just did my first homebrew a week ago and I did a Rye IPA. I think that might be too much rye. I used only 1# of rye with 1# of munich and 7#'s of LME. Hopped with Chinook, Williamette, Glacier and orange peel. Dry hopping with Citra. It's been just over a week and is tasting really good. Can't wait for finished product.

I just did my first homebrew a week ago and I did a Rye IPA. I think that might be too much rye. I used only 1# of rye with 1# of munich and 7#'s of LME. Hopped with Chinook, Williamette, Glacier and orange peel. Dry hopping with Citra. It's been just over a week and is tasting really good. Can't wait for finished product.

I don't think it will be too much rye. Of course, it's all a matter of taste, but at less than 15%, I don't think it will even be all that noticeable, especially with the dry hopping. Likely just a nice background flavor.

Back