Rye ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
Can I get people thoughts on this rye IPA recipe

11.5lbs 2row
2.5lbs rye malt
.75lbs victory
.75lbs crystal 80
1lb rice hills

1oz nugget fwh
.5 oz Chinook at 30
1oz each centennial, Cascade, citra at0

1oz each Chinook citra and 1.5 oz comet dry hop for the days

Wlp 001

I think it looks good. I would mash low to compensate for the rye. Or you could add some sugar to lighten the body a little.

I don't know how common c-80 is in an American IPA, but you do you.

How are you mashing? If this is BIAB, I don't think you need rice hulls. Oh, when I do use rye, I usually mash longer. For 75 or 90 minutes. I find the thicker mash takes a little longer to convet, and again, this should help lighten the body a little.

I actually took our the crystal 80 and subbed in 4oz c40. Instead. I don't like sweet ipa at all especially not toffee flavors. I am planning on mashing at 149 and fly sparging

Honestly, with all that rye, you'll have plenty of head and body. You really don't need crystal at all at this point. Victory is a solid addition, though.

Honestly, with all that rye, you'll have plenty of head and body. You really don't need crystal at all at this point. Victory is a solid addition, though.

have to agree with that - my standard rye has same base malt and rye qty, but crystal stops at 60L and .5 lb, but that is my taste. I do like a touch of background sweetness in a rye IPA

Advice higher up make a lot of sense to me - probably good idea to mash low on this one.

have to agree with that - my standard rye has same base malt and rye qty, but crystal stops at 60L and .5 lb, but that is my taste. I do like a touch of background sweetness in a rye IPA

Advice higher up make a lot of sense to me - probably good idea to mash low on this one.

I like a balanced IPA. You can get 95% or so of the way there by managing your mash, yeast, and water profile. I'm putting a pound of c-10 in my next ipa.

I like rye a lot too, and I've used it pretty extensively. The only recipe I've bothered to post to HBT is a rye APA.

Latest posts

Back