Rye IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahlinux

Reaction score
My first attempt at designing a recipe. Looking for feedback.

Rye IPA
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.88 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.88 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 15.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
------------
13.00 lb Pale Malt, 2-Row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM) 46.8 %
11.00 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) 39.6 %
3.00 lb Rye Malt (Briess) (3.7 SRM) 10.8 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Organic (Briess) (350.0 SRM) 2.7 %
1.50 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 28.8 IBUs
1.50 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 22.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
2.50 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 12.4 IBUs
2.0 pkg House (Imperial Yeast #A01)
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash Schedule: 148F - BIAB Light Body

- My suggestion would be to take that chocolate malt out and substitute with crystal 40 or 60.
Substituting a small amount of Vienna or Munich malt for base grain is nice in an IPA as well.

- That is a lot of malt... do you really only get 65% efficiency? I would get a 8-8.5% beer from that malt bill on my system.

- Never used El Dorodo but it sounds like a great hop to use!

- My suggestion would be to take that chocolate malt out and substitute with crystal 40 or 60.
Substituting a small amount of Vienna or Munich malt for base grain is nice in an IPA as well.

- That is a lot of malt... do you really only get 65% efficiency? I would get a 8-8.5% beer from that malt bill on my system.

- Never used El Dorodo but it sounds like a great hop to use!
Yeah I’m only getting 65 - 67% efficiency, I have a Colorado Brewing System 25 gal Down Under. I was using the chocolate malt to get the reddish color I’m looking for. Would crystal do the same thing?

I do a rye beer that's not a rye IPA, but has a lot more rye in it proportionately than your recipe. Here's what I do:

9# Maris Otter
3# Rye Malt
6 oz Chocolate Wheat
4 oz Flaked Rye

I also would not use the chocolate malt--you have an ipa, and you want rye--the chocolate might simply drown out something. I use chocolate wheat to give the beer a dark color (rye bread is darker, eh?), and for a bit of head retention.

I've had a few rye IPAs and maybe it's because mine kicks you in the teeth with rye flavor, but I can't really get the rye flavor in those rye IPAs. So if I were you--and it's your recipe and beer, so try whatever you want--I'd have more Rye in there. Just my opinion.

BTW, did you notice our join dates are identical?

I do a rye beer that's not a rye IPA, but has a lot more rye in it proportionately than your recipe. Here's what I do:

9# Maris Otter
3# Rye Malt
6 oz Chocolate Wheat
4 oz Flaked Rye

I also would not use the chocolate malt--you have an ipa, and you want rye--the chocolate might simply drown out something. I use chocolate wheat to give the beer a dark color (rye bread is darker, eh?), and for a bit of head retention.

I've had a few rye IPAs and maybe it's because mine kicks you in the teeth with rye flavor, but I can't really get the rye flavor in those rye IPAs. So if I were you--and it's your recipe and beer, so try whatever you want--I'd have more Rye in there. Just my opinion.

BTW, did you notice our join dates are identical?

I’m looking for a beer with a reddish color that’s why I chose the chocolate malt. What is a better malt to get the color with out any impact on flavor?

Last edited:
Yeah I’m only getting 65 - 67% efficiency, I have a Colorado Brewing System 25 gal Down Under. I was using the chocolate malt to get the reddish color I’m looking for. Would crystal do the same thing?
I find if you use 10% C-80 you will get a red hue. Just thinking the chocolate is going to be roasty and drown the taste of your hops. Ive added maybe an ounce of cocolate late in the mash to change color but .75 lb is a lot

I have never concerned myself with the color of my beers. Maybe I've tried to get some Belgians to be as light as I can, but that is all. The beer is about the taste, and to hell with the color.

To give you an idea...
beer.jpg
This is an ESB I brewed today with #8 Maris Otter and 14oz of C-80

I agree with the others to skip the chocolate malt. You need some crystal in there too.
You might compromise with a nice copper with this recipe. This is one of my go-to beers I've made often and won 2nd place in a holiday competition.

Boil Size: 14.99 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.29 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.80 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs 2.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SR Grain 1 79.3 %
3 lbs 12.3 oz Rye Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L ( Grain 3 5.9 %
2.00 oz Magnum [13.30 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 4 42.4 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 Fining 5 -
2.00 oz Chinook [10.50 %] - Boil 10. Hop 6 12.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Boil 10. Hop 7 5.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [11.63 % Hop 8 6.7 IBUs
2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #001 Yeast 9 -
3.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Dry Hop 0. Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Dry Hop Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Chinook [10.50 %] - Dry Hop Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [11.63 % Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

My grain bill for a 5.5 gal Rye IPA I did was:

7.5 lbs US Rahr Pale Malt (60%)
1.5 lbs Munich Malt 10L (12%)
1.5 lbs Rye Malt (12%)
1 lb caramel 60L (8%)
0.5 lbs Flaked Barley (4%)

It had a nice orange to amber color. My brewing app has it at a 10 SRM. I've never put chocolate malt in an IPA but it might clash with the hop character or add to much hashness to it. The rye will add some spiciness and dryness to the beer so some sweetness from a caramel or honey malt might add more balance.

At 2% of the grain bill I don't see it as to high a risk but like beerlover77 suggested you can get the color you want with other malts that can balance it out more.

Took the advice and got rid of the Chocolate malt and added Midnight Wheat for color. Still debating on whether to add any Crystal/Caramel. The Maris Otter should add a sweeter and maltier profile and the Rye should help with mouthfeel. Should I still add some Crystal/Caramel?

Rye IPA
Boil Size: 13.88 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.88 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 15.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 67.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
13.00 lb Pale Malt, 2-Row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM) 47.3 %
11.00 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) 40.0 %
3.00 lb Rye Malt (Briess) (3.7 SRM) 10.9 %
0.50 lb Midnight Wheat Malt (Briess) (550.0 SRM) 1.8 %
1.50 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min. 28.7 IBUs
1.50 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 22.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
2.50 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 12.4 IBUs
2.0 pkg House (Imperial Yeast #A01)
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash Schedule: 152F - BIAB Medium Body

Last edited:
Agree with dropping chocolate and adding midnight wheat.
Keep in mind, a dehusked carafa may be a good choice, but I would give crystal rye a go.

Drop malted rye by 2% and add about 5% crystal rye.

Brings the rye % up and adds crystal.

IMG_0268.jpg

The beer turned out very dark. I used too much midnight wheat. Also the beer needs more mouthfeel. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use next time to up the mouthfeel but not add sweetness? Overall the aroma from the El Dorado is nice but not very strong. It just needs to be a little more complex.

I just don't think you have enough Rye in there. I do a 5-gallon batch with mine and I have 3 pounds of Rye malt and 4 ounces of flaked Rye. Proportionally yours is well less than half of what I have in mine.

I also have 6 ounces of chocolate wheat. You have 8 ounces. Again, you're making a lighter version of what I do. I note that there's no head on that snifter of beer. No carbonation? Or something else?

Go with Crystal Rye and that should help mouth feel. Crystal can do that. Try 10% malted rye, 3% crystal Rye and 2% flaked rye. 15%is a nice entry level for rye - especially when supportet with about 5 - 8% crystal. Should be plenty of rye flavor and sufficient body.

For color, I only add about a tablespoon (if that) of Midnight wheat and it is noticeable. How much did you use?

Also,, if that is the hydro, then wait until it is carbed before questioning body. It is amazing how much mouthfeel changes with bubbles

Go with Crystal Rye and that should help mouth feel. Crystal can do that. Try 10% malted rye, 3% crystal Rye and 2% flaked rye. 15%is a nice entry level for rye - especially when supportet with about 5 - 8% crystal. Should be plenty of rye flavor and sufficient body.

For color, I only add about a tablespoon (if that) of Midnight wheat and it is noticeable. How much did you use?

Also,, if that is the hydro, then wait until it is carbed before questioning body. It is amazing how much mouthfeel changes with bubbles

I used .5 lbs of the midnight wheat in a ten gallon batch. I was thinking of using .25 lbs next time. The beer is carbonated. What about carapills?

Try using some Red X. Used it in my Rye IPA this summer and the color came out great.

For mouthfeel, rye should help you out. I use about 3 lbs in my 5 gallon batches, OG in the 1.060‘s.

I used .5 lbs of the midnight wheat in a ten gallon batch. I was thinking of using .25 lbs next time. The beer is carbonated. What about carapills?
3% crystal rye and 3% carapils (actually, just started playing with Carahell in my rye and love it - try that instead 3%) will get you to a good place. Crystal IMHO has a place, but needs to be controlled. 15% rye and 6% crystal should have a solid mouth feel. The crystal rye does double duty here as crystal and rye.

Back