Rusty Element Coupler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conehead

Reaction score
I finally got my 10 year old HD 1500 watt heater element out of my mash tun. I am replacing it with a SS 4500 watt element. The 1 inch welded coupler is in very rough shape. I can't even screw in the new element. How should I clean it? I have BKF, ss scrubby pads. When I do get it clean, should I use plumbers tape? I have keg lube too if that might help. I knew this would be a challenge though.

Harbor Freight has a pack of brushes including a brass stainless and plastic bristle brush.. I use them in my work bag and they do work well. They are small just over tooth brush sized.

My mash tun is 15 gallons. Yes, I am running 240 VAC with a High Gravity controller with a GFCI. I am hoping to get to mash temp in 45 minutes or less instead of 2 hours.

No, it is over the false bottom. I just turn it off when I hit my mash temp.

Update:

I had a leak around the flat O ring. I used a pipe wrench to tighten the element and in my opinion I didn't want to give any more turns. I bought a tube of food grade silicone sealant and after 3 applications the leak is gone. I do regret even starting this project, but now that it is done, it will definitely shorten my brew day by 2 hours. I will turn it on tomorrow to see how long it takes to heat up. Thanks for all the replies.

Are you talking about heating water to strike temp ( so it’s the proper temp to mash) ?
... you don’t really turn that element on when your grain is in there, do ya?

Yes, that is correct. My March pump is old and only rated for 180 F. I hated waiting for the mash tun to cool when I over shot the temp. So, back then I decided to install an element in the mash tun. Been doing that for 10 years now.

I wired it up after the wet test and it took 35 minutes to heat 9 gallons of water ( 64 F ) to 170 F.

Latest posts

Back