Run multiple Fermwraps from one controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scutrbrau

Reaction score
My fermentation chamber is full and I have more beer to brew (damned sours are hogging up space for long periods of time). I have several FermWraps sitting around collecting dust and it occurred to me that I can probably run all three off of the one Johnson controller that I have by plugging them into a 3-way tap.

Only one of the carboys would have the thermowell and probe, but since they're all identical, hold the same volume and are in the same environment, running the controller from just one temperature should be okay, right?

Anyone see any problems with this that I haven't considered?

As long as you're not exceeding the amperage rating on the Johnson Controller, you should be fine. I have no idea what amperage the ferm wraps draw, but I do know that resistive heat can be a power hog.

The FermWraps run at 40 watts each. If I remember my equations (and I'm not sure I do), 120 watts at 110 volts = about 1.1 amps. I hoped that Fermentap had the specs for these on their website but I can't find them. The Johnson A419 is good to a full load of 10A.

Well I ordered the ferm wraps, four to be exact. Gonna use two on each conical which each has its own ranco..... :mug: here's to hoping I don't burn the house down.

I've run 4 fermwraps off 1 Ranco. It should not be a problem.

Back