RUM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine0n

Reaction score
30 gal batch

5 Gal blackstrap molasses
16lb turbinado sugar
1 cup bread yeast
5 gal infected dunder

Boil 5 gal h20 and mix sugar and moll until desolved, fill barrel till you hit the 30 gal mark aerate the hell out of it and pitch dry yeast straight on top.

Before you fill to 30 gal add the infected dunder, somewhere around the 20 gal mark.
You don't want to add until you add some water to cool enough so you don't kill off the live dunder, VERY IMPORTANT!

Ferment 3 Weeks and strip the snot out of this all the way down to 5%
Don't be afraid of adding the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter as it adds alot of flavors for this style of rum.
You don't have to scrape the bottom to get it but don't be afraid of alot of it going in.

I'm going to use the barrel my mead just went into for long term aging.

Hoping to get my first batch of Buccaneer Bob's off the ground this weekend, no live Dunder sadly so this will be turned into bulk spiced rum with dunder essence in the final product.

Curious how long you have your Dunder sitting infected for?

I have heard anywhere from 2weeks before using all the way to just using the same bucket overtime without ever emptying.

My pit has been infected for 1.5 years now. As I make rum I use some and then top it off with fresh dunder but I keep a close eye on ph and feed it with yeast trub and an occasional bit of raw potatoes with soil and marl clay.

I think I like using the dunder in the ferment more so than I'd like BB'S RUM.

I may try his one day but for now I'm happy with mine.

I had a pour of his gold at a party and it was pretty good tho.

I've had BB golden and dark before and loved it, and a BB inspired spiced that used heavily infected dunder (pit was 3 years old) in the ferment and added into the spirit run. The inspired one was a definite favourite but don't have a pit started, let alone a 3yr old one.

And for some reason I remember her using bicarbonate, oyster shell and something else to regulate PH, I'm assuming it would do the same?

Ok, I have to ask... How do you infect your dunder? Seriously.
Thanks

Ok, I have to ask... How do you infect your dunder? Seriously.
Thanks

My buckets infection just started to get going in November, but all you have to do is put your dunder in a bucket and seal it, soon enough it will get going.

When you get a minute... will you take a picture and give me a brief description of it?
Thanks

I've had better luck keeping the pit open to let o2 do what it does.
Sealing the lid keeps air out, not saying it wouldn't work but I've done as I seen in Jamaica, open fermentation and open pits.

To infect
Lacto, add crushed raw barley
Butyric acid, Raw dirty potatoes

If monitoring the ph above 5 will keep the pellicle up, if I get down to 4.2 ish my pellicle falls.
I feed my pit with raw sugar in small doses and also a bit of marel, blue marel is what I have here and is calcium based.

There are alot of articles on rum production and I've read alot of them and understand only a small part, you have to have a very large vocabulary or a dictionary to help you along.

ShineOn, have you noticed any difference between purposefully infected dunder and dunder allowed to infect itself?

Also, I keep my pit enclosed, but that's because it is in the same room I ferment and age in.

Made my first rum wash today; 9 lbs panela, 7 gallons of water and a dash of wyeast nutrients. Ended up at 1.060, it is fermenting with Red Star premier cuvee yeast. I stacked all the panela like bricks on the false bottom and recirculated the wash to dissolve it while heating it up to a brief 20 minute boil. Chilled and aerated, pitched yeast @ 80f.

Jay, I love my panela rum! it's a bit earthy but overall very nice sippin rum.
I aged mine in twice used bourbon barrel for 6 months.
Once, bourbon
once trad mead
Now panela rum!)

TGFV, sorry so late but work has me consumed. The only thing about infecting yourself is you know for the most part what kind it is. I've gotten lacto just from the particles in the air from crushing grains in the barn, but when I added the potatoes I knew what I wanted and by week 3 I had it, smelled like vomit. lol

When I added it to my ferment and as the abv climbed it went from vomit to over ripe bananas and pineapple that did carry over to the distillate, not powerful but definitely noticed in the end product .

Jay, I love my panela rum! it's a bit earthy but overall very nice sippin rum.
I aged mine in twice used bourbon barrel for 6 months.
Once, bourbon
once trad mead
Now panela rum!)

TGFV, sorry so late but work has me consumed. The only thing about infecting yourself is you know for the most part what kind it is. I've gotten lacto just from the particles in the air from crushing grains in the barn, but when I added the potatoes I knew what I wanted and by week 3 I had it, smelled like vomit. lol

When I added it to my ferment and as the abv climbed it went from vomit to over ripe bananas and pineapple that did carry over to the distillate, not powerful but definitely noticed in the end product .

Thanks for the response! This was my first time making a wash and my one worry is that I used RO water and didn't think to add any salts or adjust pH; do you suppose that since panela contains all the stuff found in cane juice that the wash ended up in a reasonable range? The airlock is bubbling so something is happening, just a bit worried about the yeast hitting a wall before finishing out.

That stuff has all the nutrients a wash needs plus some, I went higher with my OG around 10% and it went full blast the entire 3 day ferment.
I keep my rum ferments at 90+f to get a fast ferment, on occasion I do one at 80 for 3 weeks to insure the infection takes hold but that's a different rum all together.
You should be fine and alot of distillers use RO water, we do at our distillery.

Back