RTD Probe in Tee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I have seen some e-brewery builds that use the RTD probe to be installed in a SS tee, with the probe perpendicular to the flow. So the probe is vertical (out the top) and the liquid flows horizontally.
I have a 1.5" probe so it won't work the way I want - is there something I can add in between the Tee and the RTD probe to space it out?
I want to avoid having the liquid exit 90* from the inlet by having the probe inline with the Tee.

I want to avoid having the liquid exit 90* from the inlet by having the probe inline with the Tee.

Why? Worked well for me for several years. Had a 3 inch probe so the fluid flowed around the probe on the way out.

Why? Worked well for me for several years. Had a 3 inch probe so the fluid flowed around the probe on the way out.

I'm worried the change in direction of the flow will slow down or starve the pump

Without seeing any pics, I guess you want a hex nipple, or a half nipple of the right size added to the tee, just enough to space it out so the probe doesn't hit the other side of the tee when it is installed.

what size threading is on the probe? if something smaller than 1/2", you should be able to get a bushing in there to give you some extra space. if 1/2", you will need a hex nipple and coupler like jcav suggested. you might need to use a close nipple if the hex nipple is too long.

what size threading is on the probe? if something smaller than 1/2", you should be able to get a bushing in there to give you some extra space. if 1/2", you will need a hex nipple and coupler like jcav suggested. you might need to use a close nipple if the hex nipple is too long.

Both the probe and the tee are 1/2" npt. I will look for a hex nipple like you guys suggested. Thanks!

Back