Round Silicone Mat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Sinclair

Reaction score
Anyone out there ever try to find a 16-inch round or square (preferably round) silicone mat? I've been searching forever (I know), but still can't seem to find it...searching so long now, I'd even go with hot pink if I could find it. (lol) Looking for these to place between my table and the kettles. Thanx in advance.

I had a similar requirement. Because I am a cheap SOB, I went with 4 silicone trivets from Walmart. I lay them down to make a square. The silicone is skid resistant, so everything stays in place.

If you want something more elegant: cut some appropriate material to size and shape. Glue the trivets to the shape and trim excess silicone.

I like the loose trivets slapped down on the counter method, makes washing the silicone pieces easy.

Anyone out there ever try to find a 16-inch round or square (preferably round) silicone mat? I've been searching forever (I know), but still can't seem to find it...searching so long now, I'd even go with hot pink if I could find it. (lol) Looking for these to place between my table and the kettles. Thanx in advance.
Sam’s club or Costco has a set which includes a round silpat type mat for the microwave turn table.

I bought this one from SS Brewtech and love it. It's bigger than my Spike 15 gal (they sell it for their 20 gal). The price is good at ~$21.95 and they don't gouge you on the shipping ~$5.00.
jw
IMG_2514.JPG

BTW my kettle is 16" diameter

Funny...my system is electric too, but I use a silicone mat as a floating mash return dispersion mat. The mat is outlined with a sealed silicone tube (floating part) and has a hundred+ small holes. Works great at preventing holes from being drilled during the recirculation and sparging keeping the flow even throughout the mash bed. There is a false bottom under the brew bag.

mashtunreturn3.jpgmashtunreturn2.jpg

Overall technique always transfers clear wort to the boil kettle.

wort.jpg

I really like that SSBrewtech mat...wish I had tracked that down before I made one from hexagonal trivets! I just used some leftover Sil-poxy silicone adhesive to stick these together:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091BVJ5WN/
I guess you really don't have to glue them, but I cut the 4th one into 3 equal pieces to infill perimeter spots. It's a little undersized, but works well enough. If I have to ever replace it, I'll probably get that purpose-made Ssbt mat.
1644852517102.png

I ended up getting anti skid foam mats from harborfreight, and just cut them to fit my kettles. I've been using them for 2 years now and they've been perfect. Easy clean up from spills, very well insulated against my stainless table, and CHEAP

Back