Room Temp Keg to Growlers? Can it be done if I keep Pressure??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcalcaterra

Reaction score
Here is what I am looking to do, I have a Pale Ale in a keg that I want to take on vacation for the week. I dont have a way to keep the keg refrigerated (I naturally carbonated in the keg) so I want to fill growlers from the room temp keg and then refrigerate the growlers, using a portable CO2 supply to keep pressure in the keg. Is this feasible? or is it absolutely necessary to refrigerate the keg?

I think you'll have a foaming mess boiling out of your growlers using a warm keg. Could you chill the keg for a day or so first and then fill?

Got a ten-gal cooler for an HLT? Put er in there with as much ice as will fit. Might get you close.

Unless it's carbed to cask ale levels (~1.1 vol), you're going to lose most of the carbonation and have a foamy mess trying to fill anything with room temp beer. There are some good suggestions here for getting it chilled though.

I was just wondering the same question. I've got a 10 tap kegerator, I usually brew 10 gallon batches. so when friends want to get a growler fill I was wondering if I could use my kegs that I keep on co2 in the basement. fill from warm keg to warm growler. I always thought it was cold beer going into a warm environment that caused the foam.

Latest posts

Back