Rogue Dead Guy extract kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicemon1972

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I just cracked my first home brew, a Rogue Dead Guy extract with specialty grains kit and am a bit disappointed. I did a side by side comparison with bottled Dead Guy and noticed some distinct differences.
1. Very little head and little to no lacing on the glass (and yes, both glasses were beer clean to start).
2. Thin mouth feel on the home brewed beer.
3. Less spiciness on the front and overall in comparison with the Rogue.
4. Most problematic is a definite banana flavor in the home brew.
I followed the extract recipe and instructions to a T and understand about the banana flavors having to do with a high temperature fermentation and that the differences in water may cause some flavor differences but I don't understand the lack of spiciness from the hops, the thinner mouth feel or the lack of head and lacing (although I know that has to do with the protein).
Don't get me wrong, the beer is tasty and easy drinking, but I want to improve and am looking for suggestions. I know that it is hard to comment without tasting but any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Try Brewing yoopers version and compare that to the box version,

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Pacman
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.018
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 at 60 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 60 degrees

Dead Guy Clone

1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 minutes or Whirlfloc

I used pacman yeast. If pacman is not available, try 1056 (American Ale yeast).

o.g. was 1.066
f.g. was 1.018
do a late extract addition as well Good luck! Its great Ive done it twice!

I think your off to a good start if you think your first homebrew was at least decent. I never tasted mine because it didn't carbonate and my buddy hates his. I don't think the recipe is the problem. Sounds like you need to put some work into fermentation, in particular temperature because you mentioned banana flavors. Poke around the yeast and fermentation forum for some ideas. Try distilled water too. It has taken me a year to realize that. Post some other details about your process and I'm sure you'll get more ideas

If you fermented too high or under aerated or under pitched, a bunch of things could have gone wrong. I wouldn't necessarily blame the kit unless you know these things were done correctly.

I've made this it needs to sit in the fermenter longer and bottles taste green until the 4th week most beers need to ferment 2-3 weeks not the 7-10 days the kit says
Hydro

Thanks to all for the good advice. I am going to let this condition for another week or two to see how the flavor develops.
Next time I will know a little more about what to do. I guess that's how you go from noob to experienced brewer.

two other things to consider are fermentation temperature and water profile. Ferm temps play a huge part in how the beer tastes in the end. Try using a swamp cooler and some frozen bottle of water to keep the cooler between 60 and 65.

I had issues with my first few batches because my tap water is heavily chlorinated and has a high amount of calcium in it. Make a batch with store bought tap or distilled water and see if that makes a difference.

So I pulled out a six pack and chilled it for 24 hours after another week sitting in the bottle and wow. Not a Rogue clone but a good clean easy drinker of an ale. Shared some with good honest friends at a party over the weekend and the response was enthusiastic. Lots of flavor, balanced hop bitterness with a pleasant spice at the back end. I guess it was just a bit green at two weeks. Thanks to all for the good advice on my first beer. I can't wait to be the one giving a noob some good advice.

Latest posts

Back