Robobrew in Canada?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm new to all-grain brewing. I work at a brewery and am currently being trained in how to brew there, and I recently bought my first two extract kits. I'm looking to get into all-grain homebrewing in the next few months.

I'm interested in E-BIAB units, specifically the Robobrew, but also interested in any opinions on other units like the Grainfather (is it worth twice the money?), it's worth compared to DIY two and three vessel systems, or any experience those of you might have with the Robobrew and similar units.

At the brewery I work at we use a similar system on a larger scale. A Colorado Brewing Systems Nano-Brewer with two 200 qt BKs with 3 elements each, two malt pipes with false bottoms that we use a pulley system to lower into the BKs and mash in, two pumps for recirculation, fly sparging and transferring, two plate wort chillers and an electric controller.

I figure if I get a Robobrew or similar system I can do a 5 gal homebrew batch and basically do homework, as I'm in the process of being trained at the brewery.

Based on your guys opinions and assuming it's worth it, I'm wondering what the cheapest and fastest way to get one of these to Twillingate, NL, Canada possible is. I would need the 110v 1500w North American version. Is there a Canadian dealer? Would I need to get it from the US? Or is eBay my best bet?

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can provide 🍻

This Mash & Boil system looks like a good deal. If I could get an external pump, a recirculation arm and a chiller I should have the same deal as the Robobrew.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? Can anyone make a recommendation for it?

I was actually going to buy the Robobrew without pump ($299 US on eBay) and add my own higher end pump, recirculation hoses and chiller. It would be slightly more than the buying the Robobrew with pump but you'd have better components in my opinion and still have the benefits of the Robobrew system.

Interesting, so the Robobrew without pump and the M&B are basically the same deal. If I were to go this route and get the M&B all I would need is a little brown pump, a recirculation arm, some silicone tubing and a wort chiller.

I was talking to my brewmaster today about the situation. He's a fan of the Grainfather units and thinks that the Robobrew looks like a good deal.

However, he's currently busy brewing up to 25 bbls a week for the newly opened brewery with help from me and another brewer-in-training, as well as taking care of a 2 year old daughter. So he has tons of homebrewing equipment he doesn't use, besides his HLT occasionally. A BK, a MLT, pumps, propane burners, carboys and bottle fillers. He said I can use it whenever I want.

Thing is, I'd still like to get into electric brewing as opposed to propane brewing as I would prefer to brew inside. He mentioned I could convert his BK to electric if I wanted to go that route.

So I would need two elements and fittings for them and to be able to punch two holes in the BK. I would need a similar HLT for sparge water. He uses a 5 gallon fermentation bucket with two elements attached, a 1/2" spigot and an insulation jacket and that does the job for him, he still uses that today.

I'll have to think about exactly which route would be better to go. I might as well go with his equipment. I haven't seen most of it yet, but it did him well for 10-12 years. The Robobrew and the M&B still entices me though, I really enjoy brewing on our system at work. It'd be nice to have a light and compact version of it at home.

Interesting, so the Robobrew without pump and the M&B are basically the same deal. If I were to go this route and get the M&B all I would need is a little brown pump, a recirculation arm, some silicone tubing and a wort chiller.

I was talking to my brewmaster today about the situation. He's a fan of the Grainfather units and thinks that the Robobrew looks like a good deal.

However, he's currently busy brewing up to 25 bbls a week for the newly opened brewery with help from me and another brewer-in-training, as well as taking care of a 2 year old daughter. So he has tons of homebrewing equipment he doesn't use, besides his HLT occasionally. A BK, a MLT, pumps, propane burners, carboys and bottle fillers. He said I can use it whenever I want.

Thing is, I'd still like to get into electric brewing as opposed to propane brewing as I would prefer to brew inside. He mentioned I could convert his BK to electric if I wanted to go that route.

So I would need two elements and fittings for them and to be able to punch two holes in the BK. I would need a similar HLT for sparge water. He uses a 5 gallon fermentation bucket with two elements attached, a 1/2" spigot and an insulation jacket and that does the job for him, he still uses that today.

I'll have to think about exactly which route would be better to go. I might as well go with his equipment. I haven't seen most of it yet, but it did him well for 10-12 years. The Robobrew and the M&B still entices me though, I really enjoy brewing on our system at work. It'd be nice to have a light and compact version of it at home.

If your really on a budget you can get the robobrew or Mash and boil for under $200 directly from the chinese on aliexpress... I was quoted $178 a month ago..

Thumbs up for robobrew with pump. I was first going to go with the Mash and Boil and do some mods but figured that the price point would end up not being much different, and I'm a bit lazy. There's a good group for new robots on facebook if you go that route.

If your really on a budget you can get the robobrew or Mash and boil for under $200 directly from the chinese on aliexpress... I was quoted $178 a month ago..

Augiedoggy,

I have seen several posts where you reference these units on aliexpress and alibaba, but I am not having any luck finding them. I can't find anything resembling either of the units on aliexpress. I can find them on Alibaba, but the minimum order is 50 units.

Do you have any links you could provide, or brands I can search for? Is it possible to order single units from alibaba?

I'm quite sure OBK is bringing in Robobrew, but the regulatory process is lengthy.

Augiedoggy,

I have seen several posts where you reference these units on aliexpress and alibaba, but I am not having any luck finding them. I can't find anything resembling either of the units on aliexpress. I can find them on Alibaba, but the minimum order is 50 units.

Do you have any links you could provide, or brands I can search for? Is it possible to order single units from alibaba?
Your right sorry, it was aliexpresses sister and wholesale site alibaba... There are many suppliers that will sell you as many "samples" as you want. when you inquire they all try to sell you direct while not using alibaba since thier commission fees are apparently high. all I did was look through a few pages of them and I started getting messages over the following days from vendors offering to sell me them.

Back