Robo brew or Mash and Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to beat a dead horse here but there's like 50 threads asking this already and comparing these two as well as the grainfather they copy. If you use the search feature you can find them all and get your answers relatively quickly.

OK Sorry I double posted. Consider the question answered.

OK Sorry I double posted. Consider the question answered.

Sorry about that. I really didnt mean for it to come off the way it did now that I reread it it...
Its just it really is a question thats been asked many times and kind of beat to death here.. There is some good conversation and points brought up about each in some of the bigger threads... Robobrew comes with or without the pump depending on how you order it .. But they are very similar. I dont remember which is more powerful but there are some complaints that the 1600w makes a pretty weak boil.

Sorry about that. I really didnt mean for it to come off the way it did now that I reread it it...
Its just it really is a question thats been asked many times and kind of beat to death here.. There is some good conversation and points brought up about each in some of the bigger threads... Robobrew comes with or without the pump depending on how you order it .. But they are very similar. I dont remember which is more powerful but there are some complaints that the 1600w makes a pretty weak boil.

No you were right, I should have done a better research job, I was OK with your reply.

I do see a lot of threads on these two systems, but not much discussion of side by side comparison for the two basic systems ($300 for M&B, $350 for Robobrew). A major drawback to these systems appears to be the discrepancy between the set temp and observed temp in grain bed. As well as the ability of these systems to maintain temp vs. overshooting etc. For example I seem to be reading a lot more about the M&B overshooting the set temp than the Robobrew. Is there any consensus on these issues, which of these systems performs better? Thanks!

I can only speak to my experience with the Robobrew which has been largely positive. I don’t see any real overshooting in the mash, which seems to hold pretty steady. I know some people have identified a discrepancy between the registered temperature on the panel and the temperature of the mash, but that seems to be linear and this is easy to account for.

The only temperature issue I’ve found is in chilling; the number on the panel is consistently higher than the temperature measured with an external thermometer.

Hope this helps some at least.

wbehun, do you keep just the smaller heating element on while mashing to maintain temp in a narrow range? Can you tell the heating element kicks on during the mash? No overshoot? Have you had to take any steps to insulate the kettle?
Thanks

I keep both switches on. The Robobrew will only kick the larger element on if the target vs current temp is more than 5 degrees i believe.

The switches light up when the heating elements are engaged.

I did insulate mine. I later found out that the extension cord ended up being my problem in not being able to get to temp. Not sure now what if any benefit the insulation is in my current setup. I'm sure it helps though. I believe someone has done a cvomparoson on this site though.

-bn

wbehun, do you keep just the smaller heating element on while mashing to maintain temp in a narrow range? Can you tell the heating element kicks on during the mash? No overshoot? Have you had to take any steps to insulate the kettle?
Thanks

I have my kettle insulated now but that’s a new development that I think will only make it better. I leave both burners turned on and let the controller determine what to do; when I’ve seen it cycle on, it’s just the smaller (500w) element. I’ve seen it ramp a few degrees high, but nothing too serious.

I have a Robobrew and I drilled a hole in the top screen the size of my 6" thermometer and insert it in during mash so I can get the temp in the middle of the mash. I then adjust my temp. setting accordingly. Once it gets dialed in, it will stay. Love my unit.

I also pump my wort out of the unit and into a kettle after the boil and use my immersion chiller since the unit holds heat. Also gives me time to clean the unit while wort is chilling.

Latest posts

Back