Roasted Grains and Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe

Reaction score
Is it normal to get a ton of sediment in BIAB when brewing anything with roasted grains? When I mill my grain tight the roast malt basically turns into a powder. I know this will probably settle out in primary so it is really no concern but I am just wondering if this is unique to BIAB or every type of all grain brewing.

Because you can mill finer with BIAB, you do get more grain that passes through the bag. As for the dark grains, my theory would be that since they are roasted more, they are drier and tend to crush to dust easier.

The answer to your question is, yes. The more finely ground the grain is, the more likely there is to be a fair amount of sediment. I don't believe it has a lot to do with whether the roast color is light or dark; both grains have to be dried to a certain moisture level, otherwise they would rot in the bag they are shipped in.

Back