Roast my first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you drink this beer?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Nope!

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

user 264271

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first recipe and post.

I am basically throwing in everything I have left from other brews.
Probably not the best idea, but hey!
Please be kind :)

I basically want to know how bad (or good) this might taste.
I am looking for a bitter beer (IPA style) with mid-size ABV.

What kind of style this beer would be anyway?

Thanks in advance, happy to be here.

upload_2019-3-30_19-54-29.png

This totally qualifies as a Kitchen Sink Pale Ale.

Relative to the base malt, you've got a lot of caramel/crystal malts and flaked goods in there.
So chances are it may be chewy and a bit sweet.

It also has a ton of kettle hops, but sadly, no dry hops to call it an IPA. Maybe move some to whirlpool and dry hop?

What yeast are you using? The only yeast I can think of to complete your recipe is the jar of yeast slurry you saved from your last batch.

After all, ignore, you'll be brewing beer!

I'd drink it. OTOH, I just drank a Michelob Ultra, so I'll drink anything. That looks like an awful lot of hops for 11 liters. Way too much at 60 minutes. Maybe use all the Northern Brewer at 60 minutes, and move some of the rest to 5 minutes and/or dry hops?

Holy cow, at 153 IBUs that's gonna be one hella palate scraping beer :eek:
I'm not sure I see any style here - unless "kitchen sink" is a style ;)

Don't believe the predicted FG for a second - with 20% barely fermentables I expect that'll finish somewhere in the very high teens at best...

Cheers (and good luck!)

Let's see…
High ratio of caramalts
About 55% non-diastatic grains in the grist
A ton of oddball hops in a schedule that follows old school principles of multiple boil hop additions without anything after the boil, but without paying any apparent attention to IBUs or current practices
A weird candi sugar addition that might actually improve the recipe by way of allowing it to attenuate to a reasonable FG with all of the likely unfermentable sugars...

There is a difference between a sensible kitchen sink recipe built around a list of leftover ingredients and chucking a bunch of specialty malts, adjuncts, sugars, and random hops into a kettle and hoping for the best.

This recipe sounds absolutely undrinkable in the best of circumstances. I'm of the opinion that process and practices are far more important to producing a good beer than the recipe is, but a coherent recipe is still important, and yours is anything but coherent.

It looks terrible, like no degree of good being practices could save it from being undrinkable swill. You wanted a roast, so you get my unvarnished opinion. This recipe is a waste of time and ingredients. Don't marry yourself to using all of your leftovers at once or brewing a leftover beer without buying some ingredients to fill out the recipe. Use what you have (and buy what you don't) to make something decent. Or don't. It's your life. Maybe you'll like it as written. I wouldn't.

Last edited:
I won't drink it for 2 reasons. I am not where you are. And that is a muddy mess of a recipe. I can't imagine it would taste anywhere near good. 153 IBU is going to give you pucker face.....

For your first beer recipe, something fairly basic that you'd like, and then tweak it from there for your 3rd, 4th, 5th recipe etc....

I'm unsure of what flavor you may get from this recipe; to be honest, If I were to try to make this at this stage, I'd only do a 1 gallon test batch, as you have some great hops there, and it'd be a shame if it didn't turn out well as that's a lot of hops lost.

Latest posts

Back