RO System Help/Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isomerization

Reaction score
Finally have a great excuse to invest in an at home RO system. I’ve seen great things said about @Buckeye_Hydro here, are you shipping units right now?

Here are a few pics of where I would like to install the system:

upload_2020-4-19_8-52-55.jpeg

upload_2020-4-19_8-54-18.jpeg

upload_2020-4-19_8-53-43.jpeg

Looking at this system (50 GPD):
https://www.buckeyehydro.com/premium-ro-systems/

Can anyone provide insight into which accessories they appreciate having and the fittings I would need. I can following plumbing instructions, but that’s about it.

Thanks!

There is an extensive set of articles on RO system selection and operation in Zymurgy magazine that should be helpful to anyone moving into RO. AHA membership has its benefits. There is also some guidance on the Bru’n Water site too.

Your setting will require some sort of tap into the water line and a tap into the drain. Of course, having a vessel to hold your treated water is also needed. Other than that, a reputable dealer like you mentioned can get you set up.

Don't forget to install an automatic water shut off unit in case a leak occurs. Otherwise, you could end up with water throughout the house/basement. It happened to me....:( Lesson learned.

If your water pressure is relatively low, like 40psi typical of a well pump, I highly recommend putting a booster pump on your RO system to boost efficiency and reduce waste water. Other than that, you need an auto shut off valve, a manual flush valve, and most likely a float valve for whatever collection barrel you want to use. I've had great luck with systems from PureWaterClub.com and I haven no professional affiliation with them.

If your water pressure is relatively low, like 40psi typical of a well pump, I highly recommend putting a booster pump on your RO system to boost efficiency and reduce waste water. Other than that, you need an auto shut off valve, a manual flush valve, and most likely a float valve for whatever collection barrel you want to use. I've had great luck with systems from PureWaterClub.com and I haven no professional affiliation with them.

Thanks for posting that website, they appear to be significantly cheaper than Buckeye Hydro, any concerns on product quality/longevity?

Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to brainstorm on what features/options would be best for your specific situation.

And yes - we are up and running at full steam and shipping out systems. Systems, including customized systems, typically are shipped the same day, or the day after they are ordered.

Russ

I purchased the 24 gpd system from Buckeye and have been very happy with it. As I only use it for brewing, I installed a valve on the cold water line with an attachment for the RO feed water. I run the RO water into a 15 gallon container the night before I brew. It has also taken my 400+ TDS softened water down to a consistent 11-15 TDS, which is better than the local RO water from the store.

So I actually purchased a 100 GPD system on Monday, arrived today and I just hooked it up.

upload_2020-4-23_20-55-40.jpeg

upload_2020-4-23_20-55-59.jpeg

upload_2020-4-23_20-56-14.jpeg

Pretty pleased with how easy the setup was! Quick question @Buckeye_Hydro, should I leave the automatic flush valve powered at all times? Also, I don’t have a dedicated tank to install the ASOV float, was hoping to use my 16 gallon BK to collect water, any thoughts on how to proceed there? Thanks!

No need to disconnect or otherwise disable the auto-flush valve at all, I never have since I installed mine. It only operates when the system is producing water. The intent is to flush out the accumulated brine on the input side of the membrane every so often (I have the same valve, I think it's spec'd to flush for 18 seconds every hour of operation) so it doesn't build up to where it reduces production and loads up the membrane...

Cheers!

No need to disconnect or otherwise disable the auto-flush valve at all, I never have since I installed mine. It only operates when the system is producing water. The intent is to flush out the accumulated brine on the input side of the membrane every so often (I have the same valve, I think it's spec'd to flush for 18 seconds every hour of operation) so it doesn't build up to where it reduces production and loads up the membrane...

Cheers!

Awesome, figured so, but wanted to check, thanks!

If your system operates on the same logic as mine it will autoflush every time it is powered up so if you want to save water you should always leave it powered. I believe the underlying logic is that the system has no way of knowing for how long it was powered off so it will default to autoflushing every time it initializes for obvious sanitary reasons.

Correct - the pressure switch cuts the power to the auto-flush which promptly loses it's notion of elapsed time.
I have a fridge that does the same thing: power it up and guaranteed within an hour it'll do a defrost cycle.
Wreaks havoc with my BrewPi quasi-PID logic as it's calling for cold and nothing's happening :)

Cheers!

Regarding mounting your float valve - You can get any sort of strut, for example a piece of angle aluminum from the hardware store, make it long enough to span the top of your container, drill a hole in it, and mount a 1/4" adjustable float valve through the hole. Adjust the float to be horizontal using the wing nut.

Russ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back