Risks in washing yeast, a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
Question 1. I've been reading up on washing yeast and have made my first attempt. Everything seems to be working well but, as with each new technique I learn...I'm nervous about ruining a batch with bad yeast.

When I make the starter with what I have harvested, will an infection be obvious in the first 24 hours I made it?

I've been back to brewing for almost two years. In some 15 batches, I haven't had an infection.

Any tips on knowing if you've gathered good, healthy yeast?

Question 2. Once all the yeast settles in my mason jars, what is the best way to remove the yeast without pulling out the layer of trub beneath it?

Question 3. I have limited fridge space. Is there any reason why I can't decant some of the water in a couple jars and consolidate them?

The best way to store yeast in the fridge is to simply pour it into a sanitized jar and close the lid. Rinsing with water doesn't give any advantage over the beer that the yeast were already living in. Trub wont do any harm, go ahead and dump everything in your starter without fear.

The best way to store yeast in the fridge is to simply pour it into a sanitized jar and close the lid. Rinsing with water doesn't give any advantage over the beer that the yeast were already living in. Trub wont do any harm, go ahead and dump everything in your starter without fear.

I've been reading on the never wash your yeast again thread. So many people are not washing and just keeping their yeast/grub slurry. That makes me even more nervous.

I heard Jamil say something about homebrewers getting more junk in their beers than they think...something about a beer maybe not getting infected but having off flavors. For all the works brewers put into quality beer, isn't this not washing yeast just sloppy technique?

That is what makes me want to be anal about that last layer of grub in my jars.

If it comes from a fermenter that recently contained healthy yeast, doesn't it make sense that it would continue to be a good environment for that same yeast? They are very good at creating a comfortable home for themselves, adjusting pH levels to their liking, and then you remove them from that home and put them in water that could contain competing microflora, minerals, and who knows what pH. If you're not doing a proper wash with autoclave or acid in a lab environment, what's the point? You may be doing more harm than good.

I thought the whole point of the 'Never wash your yeast again' thread was to make a bigger starter and save a portion for future starters, eliminating the need to harvest from a spent fermentation. I am giving it a try, but will continue to rack onto recent yeast cakes without fear.

I thought the whole point of the 'Never wash your yeast again' thread was to make a bigger starter and save a portion for future starters, eliminating the need to harvest from a spent fermentation. I am giving it a try, but will continue to rack onto recent yeast cakes without fear.

Yeah, but many pointed out that they aren't really washing their yeast.

Seems like the comments above cover #2 & 3 but I'm still curious if you can tell if an infection is in your yeast at the stage of a starter?

Seems like the comments above cover #2 & 3 but I'm still curious if you can tell if an infection is in your yeast at the stage of a starter?

I don't think so, no. Any infection already present would be apparent in the jar of washed yeast. If the yeast in the jar looks fine, and is several days/weeks old, then I would be shocked if anything appeared during the day or two it was fermenting out after being pitched into a starter. That's simply not enough time for an infection to present itself.

That said, I would not worry about it if you practice good sanitation. Sanitize the flask, stirbar, and cap thoroughly with StarSan. Use canned starter wort or boil it for a good 5 minutes. Chill quickly to the right temperature, pitch the yeast, and seal it up. Also, if I'm using washed yeast (as opposed to a Wyeast smack-pack or White Labs vial) that I harvested less than 2 weeks prior, I don't even bother making a starter. I just decant the spent wort, swirl up the yeast in the jar, and pitch it directly. I collect my yeast cakes from my 5 gallon batches in 4 jars, so each jar is 1/4 of a yeast cake. 60+ batches, no infections so far (knock on wood), and the fermentation takes off quickly and vigorously.

I don't think so, no. Any infection already present would be apparent in the jar of washed yeast. If the yeast in the jar looks fine, and is several days/weeks old, then I would be shocked if anything appeared during the day or two it was fermenting out after being pitched into a starter.

What would look off in the jar of washed yeast? Pretty obvious? Smell off? I'll post some pics.

If you've got 15 batches under your belt with no infection, then you probably have a decent understanding of sanitation practices. Just transfer those same practices to your yeast harvesting process, and you'll be no more likely to get an infection than when you're brewing. I would say the risk of getting an infection here would be about the same as doing a starter. I wouldn't be too worried.

I've recently gone from the washing method to no-wash method. I think I will stick with the no-wash method. I made 6 beers from one package of wyeast, and noticed no off-flavors, infections, etc. It was also easier and less time consuming then washing. I just followed the rule of only going up in gravity, and color.

My fermentations also seem to start faster, and appear to be healthier.

The easiest (and cheapest) method I've found is to increase your batch size by one gallon, then after the boil, run the extra gallon off into a one gallon glass jug (diluting to approx 1.040). Add your yeast, let it ferment, decant, then split into two or three jars. Every batch I do a small starter from one of the jars just to activate, then take one of the other jars, and repeat with the extra runoff from that batch.

The cost of increasing a recipe by one gallon is negligible, and I'm using a lot less DME since my starters are much smaller. Plus, a one gallon "starter" creates so much more yeast. And you don't have to worry about the gravity of the original batch, since you're diluting to 1.040, and color isn't really an issue, just decant if you're doing a lighter beer. I add a little defoamer too, just to help with the mess.

I think what I'm gonna do to satisfy my paranoia is make a really small batch...a gallon...or even just a practice starter. Let it sit for a few weeks and see how it goes. Then if all is well...I can use of the other jars.

Back