RIS critique...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
I've already brewed ver. 1, as below. Looking for tweaks for when I brew ver. 2.

13.5 lbs Marris Otter
2.0 lbs Weyermann Type I Munich
1.0 lb Crisp Pale Chocolate
10 oz Briess Roasted Barley
8 oz Carafa II (Special)
8 oz Crystal 45
8 oz Flaked Barley
6 oz Briess Black Barley
4 oz Muntons Dark Crystal
4 oz Special B

90 minute boil

1.25 oz Magnum at 75 minutes
2 oz EKG at 15 minutes
1 oz EKG at FO

Mashed 90 minutes at 154

Two vials of San Diego Super

Fermenting around 65.

OG was 1.094ish, but had hoped to hit 1.1. That amount of grain is about the limit for me in my 10 gallon mashtun. I think I'd be better off next time adding 1 lb or so of DME and reducing the grains a touch.

Anyways, thoughts on the grain bill?

I'd prefer to stay away from bourbon/oaking on this one, but was considering adding some cold brewed coffee. Thoughts on that?

Whats the point of the flaked barley, and the crystal 45? If a 1.100 beer lacks mouthfeel or head retention, you have other problems. And the 45L is going to mostly add sweetness, and i suppose some toffee, which might survive? How was the balance to your taste on the first one? How long you plan on aging it?

Personally id consider a more flavorful yeast. Is 2 vails enough yeast? That seems like a gross underpitch. Id either make a big starter, or make a 1.035-1.040 bitter first and harvest the yeast.

Flaked barley for the head retention. You are probably right that it wouldn't be necessary.

Was just trying to layer the flavors of the crystal malts, while still maintaining residual sweetness.

2 vials is certainly underpitching, but I think it should be fine, esp. with that yeast strain. I just wasn't interested in making a starter (didn't have time, really). I was thinking of an English strain, but was concerned about attentuation.

you can always mix strains. the super yeast and an english strain, i often do this with ris, and barleywine, a favorful strain, and a attenuative strain for insurance. Im not harvesting the yeast from in anyway. But if you are underpitching, id be worried about an english strain throwing something nasty ester-wise.

IMHO, too many grains on the grain bill. Edit yourself down to maybe five, otherwise the grain and malt flavors will become muddled.

you can always mix strains. the super yeast and an english strain, i often do this with ris, and barleywine, a favorful strain, and a attenuative strain for insurance. Im not harvesting the yeast from in anyway. But if you are underpitching, id be worried about an english strain throwing something nasty ester-wise.

I generally do a double pitch. I'll start with an ale yeast, let it ferment out, rack to secondary, and add champagne yeast to finish off the beer. It works pretty well, and will generally get you your last few gravity points without impacting flavor. I age for 3-6 months and use it again when I bottle.

I usually make a gallon starter for an RIS.

Latest posts

Back