RIS. Advice needed, overshot my OG by a long shot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
So I've just finished a brewing day making an Imperial Stout.
I was aiming for around 1.130 OG but made a dumb mistake and added 2x the amount of DME then was planned.

I ended up with a 1.154 OG stout. I've added yeast nutrition (lallemand servomyces) and yeast energizer to the wort.
For roughly 4.5 gallons of beer I've pitched 2 packets of Lallemand Bry-97. I was aiming for about 12% ABV.

I'm wondering if I should let it go and see where it ends, or would be better to get some extra yeast in that's more suited for high gravity brewing?
Bry97 has been good on a 1.120 stout before.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments, would it be wise to stir the wort with a lees stirrer like you do with a mead on day 2?

I ferment in 6-gal plastic carboys. after a couple of days I gently rock the carboy in a circular motion which gets the yeast and rub stirred up. I do it again after a couple more days. not sure it accomplishes anything, though.

So reporting back the beer stalled at 1.080 OG. I've pitched yeast energizer, some champagne yeast, and the other got abbey yeast.
Hopefully it will go down a bit more, it tastes actually surprisingly good but a little bit toooo thick

So reporting back the beer stalled at 1.080 OG. I've pitched yeast energizer, some champagne yeast, and the other got abbey yeast.
Hopefully it will go down a bit more, it tastes actually surprisingly good but a little bit toooo thick
You didn't do yourself a favour with adding the energiser. It's very likely going to stay in solution and will impact the taste in a negative way. If it contains dap it might have ruined the beer, depending on the amount used.

Yeast that far into fermentation does not take in all the nutrients available anymore.

You didn't do yourself a favour with adding the energiser. It's very likely going to stay in solution and will impact the taste in a negative way. If it contains dap it might have ruined the beer, depending on the amount used.

Yeast that far into fermentation does not take in all the nutrients available anymore.
Ok good to know for the next run, allthough yeast energizer is advertised as helping with stuck fermentatio.
Yes its with dap added half a tsp

Ok good to know for the next run, allthough yeast energizer is advertised as helping with stuck fermentatio.
Yes its with dap added half a tsp
If you're lucky, the yeast will continue and eat it.

The champagne yeast also doesn't really help. It usually can only digest shorter sugars, but what's left there is very likely the rest of the longer sugars. The abbey yeast might help out, but it will obviously also contribute Belgian character.

If you're lucky, the yeast will continue and eat it.

The champagne yeast also doesn't really help. It usually can only digest shorter sugars, but what's left there is very likely the rest of the longer sugars. The abbey yeast might help out, but it will obviously also contribute Belgian character.
Ok let's see not much more airlock activity at the moment, this whole brew turned into a "F#%kit" experiment now. I've heard on a podcast that such high FG's can work out, especially for barrel aged beers.

Ok let's see not much more airlock activity at the moment, this whole brew turned into a "F#%kit" experiment now. I've heard on a podcast that such high FG's can work out, especially for barrel aged beers.
Just wait it out. As long as something is still going on, it's progressing.

It might restart fermentation but the sugars that it would need to be able to produce more CO2 are missing having been eaten but the previous fermentation activity.

It might restart fermentation but the sugars that it would need to be able to produce more CO2 are missing having been eaten but the previous fermentation activity.
Would it help fermenation to add a bit of sugar?

Beano. FG 1.080 would be a dumper for me. You are already at 12% so mission accomplished on that end. You could split the batch in half and add back water and sugar ( honey is my preference ) to get a beer that would be more drinkable.

Back