RIP little buddy (kegerator)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
Came home from work Monday and went to get a beer...crap, it’s warm! Seems like the ol’ chest freezer gave up the ghost and died a peaceful death sometime between Sunday afternoon and Monday night.

I blew out the coils and tried cleaning things but it doesn’t seem to help. If I unplug it, wait a few mins, and plug it back in it seems to want to run but then sputters and dies. I am getting constant power so I think it died of old age (~16 years old).

It’s a Magic Chef from HD, but none of the freezers I saw on-line from the “usual suspects” have the same dimensions so it looks like I’ll be modifying or building a new collar for a new freezer.

Bummer, I had tons of cool stickers!!

IMG_4239.jpg

Sorry about your keezer.

Sounds like a problem with the compressor. Some use a starting capacitor, maybe that's shot, and fairly easy to replace. Otherwise, not much that can be fixed for less than buying a new one.

I think we should start a fund...err sticker-raiser for the new keezer. #SendALocalStickerOrTwoToMurphys_LawForHisNewKeezerBecauseHisOldKeezerDiedAndHeReallyLikedTheStickersThatWereOnHisOldKeezer

I think it's going to trend.

Can't stickers be removed without damaging them? Using the right solvent should lift them off, without dissolving the medium or erasing the print on top. Or apply low heat perhaps?

Just curious what did you have your compressor delay set to on the temperature controller?

Sorry about your loss. This happened to me about a year and a half ago too.

Regarding the stickers, I was in the same boat. Now I buy magnetic sticker sheets on amazon. I adhere the stickers to the magnetic sheet and cut them out. This way, if my current kegerator/fermentation chamber dies I can easily move the stickers over to a new one. If you would like some brewery stickers, shoot me a PM with your address. I should be getting more in a few weeks and I can send you some later in August.

Back