Ringwood Ale Wyeast 1187 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archthered

Reaction score
I am making an English Brown using Ringwood Ale yeast and have a couple questions.

My first question is about the diacetyl rest it says this yeast needs. I know normally a diacetyl rest is used for lagers and is done at 65ish degrees. But what is the proper temp for a diacetyl rest in an ale? The fermentation range of the strain is listed as 64-74 so should I just get it to the upper end of the range or do I need to take it higher?

My second question is about it's activity. It took some time before I saw any activity in the airlock, over 3 days, and I only saw activity for about 24 hours. Is this normal? Is it just not a particularly active strain? And before you go into it YES I know airlock activity is not proof of fermentation, nor is a lack proof of a lack of activity, I know you need to take a gravity reading to know for sure etc. etc. etc. But I've never had a yeast take so long to get started and then stop bubbling so quickly. I've been trying to take advantage of the cold and have colder starts with a slow rise to the right temperature and I'm concerned I over did it. If this is normal I don't want to keep checking gravity but I'm getting to the point that I'm concerned it's stuck.

Really? I've never struck out on this site before... did I say something stupid? or does no one know?

I've only used it a few times, and I had mixed results with Ringwood, so I just use other strains.... As for the D-rest, you could raise it to room temp and give it some time. I just let the beer sit on the yeast cake at room temp for an extra week. I also roused the yeast (I fermented in a bucket so that I could stir it up with my mash spoon). I had overwhelming diacytl in the first beer and great malty character in the second.

As for your second question, I understand that Ringwood can sit around for a while before getting started. 3 days is a pretty long time, but not outside the realm of possibility, I suppose. I remember getting nervous about this, too. Ringwood also has a reputation for fermenting out quickly. So I'd say this sounds extreme, but sort of in line with what people say about it.

I'd recommend giving the beer a taste--and a hydro check. Then do it again another week. I suspect you'll see some changes in the character of the beer. Good luck!

Sorry, I just saw that you say you're taking gravity readings. What are you seeing?

My gravity is at 1.012 as of tonight, I think its done. That was an issue I was asking about just because I was asking about the d rest, so I wouldn't keep wanting to check the gravity.

The problem with room temperature is that I'm brewing in a basement, in Minnesota. The high tomorrow is supposed to be -1F (-18C) it's cold down there and I have to heat. I will try warming it close to 70F and giving it a stir for the rest.

I like the sound of a brown with 1187. If you can't taste butter in the sample, you could scratch thr D-rest.

I use 1187 frequently and have never had diacetyl problems. I always give it at least three weeks at 66-70. Little bugger can ferment fast so I get tempted to cut it short but let it sit.

With ales, d-rest generally just means "let it sit a while before packaging." Bringing it up a few degrees can help, if you're fermenting in the middle 60s, as can rousing the yeast. The pros (and more experienced homebrewers) who work with Ringwood recommend rousing regularly, but I only roused once or twice when I used it--other folks don't rouse it at all and have great luck, though. Oxidation shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't splash the beer around. As a previous poster suggested, leaving it on the yeast cake for 3 weeks isn't a bad idea. I kegged my bitter at 12 days, according to my usual practice (strong diacetyl). I kegged my oatmeal stout after 3 weeks (perfect).

OK just in case anyone ever looks at this and wonders how it went, I did bump the heat up to close to the upper end and let it sit there for close to a week. It is one of the best beers I've ever made so I'd recommend 1187.

OK just in case anyone ever looks at this and wonders how it went, I did bump the heat up to close to the upper end and let it sit there for close to a week. It is one of the best beers I've ever made so I'd recommend 1187.

I saw it! Came here after pitching it and reading the info on the manufacture's website.
I'm going at 65* and the starter had it going FAST!
I'll let it ride for three weeks, sample and go from there.

Back