Rims wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
I'm working on a rims setup and would like someone to take a look at it to see if I'm missing anything. I know there are similar diagrams around here already, but I find that it helps my understanding if I can work it out for myself. The pump is a Chugger SS brewing pump, the switches are all lighted rocker switches rated to 16A 125VAC, the heating element is 125V 1500W, the PID is a Mypin TA7 and will operate a 25 Amp SSR. I ran the hot to the rims switch from the pump switch for just a little insurance so the element wouldn't be able to be on unless the pump is on. The rectangles labeled H, N, and G are the Hot, Neutral and Ground buses. Does anybody have any thoughts? Thank you.

View attachment Rims Control Panel Wiring.pdf

I have a RIMS on a BCS but this looks right to me. Smart move forcing the pump to be on to run the RIMS, I already lost one element through a flip of a switch to manual by mistake. I might see if I can rewire my manual switch to work the same way (or just disconnect manual all together).

Thanks for taking a look at it. It makes sense to me and seems like it should work, but I wanted someone else to see it too. Running the rims element off of the pump switch like this isn't totally covering it, and I know that, but it should help a bit. I say that because I'll be using the pump for liquid transfers when it's not being used for the rims re-circulation. So, it's still possible to fire the element up without the pump running wort through it, but this should slightly decrease that chance.

Back