RIMs Tube: Estimated Brewhouse Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
In 2 weeks, I will brew my first batch in 4 years. I'm looking for input on where I should estimate my brewhouse efficiency.

I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch and targeting 5% ABV. I will using a RIMs tube and fly sparging. My grain will be pre-milled from Austin Homebrew Supply.

I'd rather undershoot the efficiency and end up with 5.2% ABV rather than 4.8% ABV. I know I can adjust with water or DME if I need to but I want to give myself a fair shot at not needing to.

Thanks everyone

Not sure why the RIMS would change efficiency? I would guess it would be close to the same with or without the RIMS?

Lot of variables at play here, including some you can't control (Austin's mill gap size). Aim for about 70%.

I'd roll with whatever you get unless it's way out of bounds. Trying to hit 5% +/- 0.2% without knowing your system inside and out isn't a reasonable expectation.

Alright! One vote in for 70%. If this thread can randomly get some traction, maybe we can set an over/under and make a game of it.

Trying to hit 5% +/- 0.2% without knowing your system inside and out isn't a reasonable expectation.
I was just saying I'd rather end up with a higher than expected ABV than a lower one. That's all.

Maybe The Price is Right rules would apply better than over/under.

70 percent is a good target. You mentioned adding water or extract to fix any issues. That's all fine but you really need to learn your system.

Here's what I recommend: Put five gallons of water in the kettle. Boil it for however long you normally boil your wort. Now measure how much is left in the kettle. Subtract what's left from the original five gallons and you will know your boil off amount. Now add that amount to five gallons in the kettle and mark your kettle in some way. A chisel mark or scratch line etc.

When you fly sparge don't worry about the amount of sparge water, just keep sparging until you hit your mark. After the boil you should have five gallons of wort. Now cool the wort and check your gravity. If high or low of your target then change the recipe to match your system. Brewing software makes this easy! Once your recipes match your system you will hit your marks every time!

70% shall be the number of thoust efficency, 71% though shalt not use, neither shalt though use 69% unless thoust doth proceed to 70%, 72% is right out. Using 70% thou shalt have a great ale who in sight of thine friends shall be consumed.

I have mashed with and without RIMS and the biggest variable in my efficiency number is sparge/lauter rate. The slower I runoff, the higher the efficiency. Every time. RIMS just keeps mash temp consistent (hopefully).

70% shall be the number of thoust efficency, 71% though shalt not use, neither shalt though use 69% unless thoust doth proceed to 70%, 72% is right out. Using 70% thou shalt have a great ale who in sight of thine friends shall be consumed.

A Monty Python reference! Excellent, my day is complete. Besides, it's only a bunny!

Lots of votes for 70%. I lost some of my first runnings because I had the valve open on my bk when i started sparging. I think I lost a half gallon before I noticed. That wasnt a fun surprise. What i lost would have pushed it up a bit higher. I ended up at 72%. My target OG was 1.056 and I hit 1.057 so I call it a win.

I lost track of this thread. Took me about 6 hours. I budgeted the whole day. I'm sure I can shave an hour off that next time.

I couldn't sleep, got rained on, spilled some wort, lost prime on my pump every time I moved a hose from one pot to the next... what a blast. Didn't realize how much I missed this until brewday. Can't wait for the next one. I'm shooting for Thanksgiving weekend.

Back