RIMs Tower of Power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I received a Top Tier for my birthday and decided that I would build a Tower of Power for it rather than try to hang everything on the Top Tier. I already used a RIMs setup so I had everything on-hand. I used a 4 foot piece of aluminum extrusion from eBay (80/20 brand, series 10, 2020). This piece is dual channel and 2" square.

With 2 pieces of scrap aluminum shelving, I made the base and top shelf. The pump(s) is mounted at the very bottom. The RIMs is mounted mid-way up the column with (2) 2-gang boxes mounted opposite the RIMs. The top gang has 4 outlets, 2 for pump control, 1 for the control box power, and 1 I have left as a separate mains source for a 2000W element I'm considering using in the future.

The lower gang has 2 switches, one for each pump. Since I use gravity for my HLT-to-MLT flow, I only use 1 pump. There is also a power strip I Velcro'd to the mast for additional outlets (I use a wifi bridge to transmit my Brewtroller info for remote control).

The top shelf is where my control box sits. The whole thing is mounted on wheels for mobility. Very happy with how it all works together so far....

That big plywood enclosure in the background is my ferm chamber/kegerator

toptier-63133.jpg

What are you using for the flow meter on that setup, looks good BTW...

It is a .2-to-2 gallon flowmeter with 1/2" female connectors at each end. With my March pump wide open the flow rate is just under 2 gallons per minute so I think this is a good size.

When I sparge I set the flow so the indicator is just barely bouncing at .2 gallons per minute which gives my just under 1 qt per minute for fly sparging. I bought it on eBay from seller "allforwater". It was $23 plus $7 shipping. I'm sure you could shop around and find a better price. The Tower of Power by Blichmann uses a .2-to-2.5 gpm flow meter.

It is a .2-to-2 gallon flowmeter with 1/2" female connectors at each end. With my March pump wide open the flow rate is just under 2 gallons per minute so I think this is a good size.

When I sparge I set the flow so the indicator is just barely bouncing at .2 gallons per minute which gives my just under 1 qt per minute for fly sparging. I bought it on eBay from seller "allforwater". It was $23 plus $7 shipping. I'm sure you could shop around and find a better price. The Tower of Power by Blichmann uses a .2-to-2.5 gpm flow meter.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I have been looking for a flow meter for awhile now.

Back