"Rice" versus Corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew all kinds of beers, but tend to brew a lot of lagers of all sorts. My house beer is a Std. Amer. Lager that uses 20% flaked corn. Everyone loves this beer - very easy drinking and refreshing (recipe under my avatar). Well I finally got around to substituting rice for the corn - well actually rice syrup solids, which I understand is mostly maltose, and much of the rice flavor compounds have probably been removed (not that there are many there anyway). I'll have to try some flaked rice now to see how if that is very different from the rice syrup solids.

Anyways, wow what a difference in the flavor!!! I knew that the flaked corn added some flavor, but I hadn't realized just how much! The corn really rounds out the flavor and body. I believe I have now cloned Busch (only better). This tastes way more in line with the macro lagers than my corn version, and could fool/please any die hard macro lager drinker.

Is Miller (and Yuengling) the only big brewers that use corn? Does Miller use it in all their beers. I do like Miller High Life, but must say that I'm not found of their other products

Is Miller (and Yuengling) the only big brewers that use corn? Does Miller use it in all their beers. I do like Miller High Life, but must say that I'm not found of their other products

Yuengling isn't a 7 barrel brewpub but I wouldn't call it big compared to the BMC outfits. AFAIK virtually all standard American lager with the exception of Budweiser has a corn component, be it grits, flaked, starch or syrup. Bud is rice adjunct only, Miller is corn only, some are a blend of corn and rice (Rolling Rock and maybe Coors). Other AB products could be a hodge-podge with Busch being corn and is Michelob now all malt? It used to be a rice blend like Bud.

Latest posts

Back