Rice malt can't find it is it easily made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinglindz

Reaction score
Hey everyone I live in Australia and I'm having some trouble tracking down rice malt I'm a big fan of asahi and would like to make a clone. Is rice malt easily made from scratch? Also does anyone have a decent asahi clone?

Cheers

You may need to learn to do partial mashes. I've heard Minute Rice can be used, but I'm not familiar.

I badly wanted to make a rye pale ale and had to jump in. Because of that I'm doing all-grain these days.

Although it may exist, I've never seen or even heard of rice malt and I doubt the breweries use it.

Instead, they use a very light barley Pilsner malt and a large percentage of rice (40% or more) as an adjunct. 6-row barley is generally preferred as it has more diastatic power than 2-row, as well as a higher percentage of husk material for better lautering. Rice yields very little flavor to beer, even less than corn. This makes for all those pretty much flavorless light lagers the majority of people seem to like. Think of the light and ultra light lagers Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc. sell billions of gallons of each year. Asahi belongs to that style group, and is possibly brewed with an even higher percentage of rice (>40%).

Of course this beer needs to be brewed all-grain and requires mashing. I doubt a partial mash with extracts will give anything close to what's expected.

One could use minute rice, as it's already pre-gelatinized. When using regular rice it needs to be boiled in a lot of water for an hour or so and/or cereal mashed with a diastatic malt (e.g., 6-row barley). Some wheat malt can be added too.

Needless to say, beer that is so light and has such little flavor is actually very difficult to brew right, since even the smallest flaws stand out, potentially ruining the light lager "experience."

The easiest thing to do is to use flaked rice. It is also pre-gelatinized. It can be added directly to the mash without the need for a separate cereal cooker or temperature. You can mix up to 40 % but I find good flavor at 25-30% of total mash weight.

With any flaked grain, it can stick a run off, so use of rice hulls is suggested.

Rice flakes are more expensive than malted barley.

As has been mentioned, a beer made with just rice and barley will show off any flaws in fermentation and sanitation. It is a VERY hard style to make cleanly.

I cook rice the night before to gelatinize it, and add it to the mash the next day. It works great.

I cook rice the night before to gelatinize it, and add it to the mash the next day. It works great.

This is exactly what i was thinking. I have a rice cooker that has a porridge setting and was going to cook some buckwheat the night before, then the next morning add it to my strike water before reaching the target temp. then add the rest of my grain for mashing. is this similar to what you do? also, do you add 6-row at all while cooking your porridge or into the mash?

I made a pale ale years ago and used white basmati rice. Won first place for pale in a local competition.

Cooked it first then stirred it into the mash.

All the Best,
D. White

yup, I cook the rice ahead of time, and allow it to cool to room temp so I can calculate the strike all at once. I don't add any other grain to the cooked rice, as it would denature the enzymes.

I also do regular cereal mashes, were I cook the rice with a larger portion of water so it remains soupy. When the rice is finished cooking (its faster to cook than eating rice as you boil the whole time), I add it to the main mash which was resting at a protein range, to bring the whole thing up to sacrification. While I think I get a tad more efficiency this route, I mainly use it because i forget to cook the rice before brew day, and have to adapt :)

Back