Rice Hulls with BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
I'm making a pumpkin ale today and the recipe called for 1-pound of rice hulls. I didn't stop to think about whether I really needed the rice hulls when BIAB brewing so I added the rice hulls to the mash with all of the other ingredients.

When I lifted the bag/basket from the brew kettle after the mash it was very heavy and then I realized that most of the wort was being held by the rice hulls. I finally had enough wort in my brew kettle after an hour of draining and squeezing. Normally this draining process takes only 10 to 20 minutes.

Note to self: next time no rice hulls!

Like you found out, rice hulls are not needed for BIAB. If you move to traditional all grain don't forget to either soak them in water before mashing, or figure them in with your other calcs.

No. They are used to prevent stuck sparges in mashtuns. You are not going to have that problem with BIAB.

Back