rice hulls and pumkin ale wort questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a pumpkin ale and I see that using rice hulls can help with the fermentation since there can be a lot of trub from the pumpkin. So I have to ask, do the rice hulls just keep the trub somewhat separated to allow more liquid through it? If the rice hulls are worth it, is 1 pound of hulls the right amount for a 5 gal recipe?

Also, should any of the trub be strained from the initial boil into the primary fermenter if I plan on using a secondary, or should the wort just be strained before going into the secondary?

Rice hulls would be helpful in a mash to add as a filter aid, and to keep the mash from sticking. I'm not sure what if any purpose they would serve in the fermenter. When you transfer to secondary, you want to use a racking cane so that you can keep the trub layer in your primary fermenter and avoid stirring up the beer and getting air in it.

EDIT: If you can, keep the trub in the boil kettle or strain it out.

My suggestion after doing multiple pumpkin beers, and a sweet potato beer: mash the pumpkin separate.

Boil the pumpkin in water to gelatinize any starches, then cool it down and mash in some 2-row to convert. When sparging, sparge with as much water as you want. Your next mash won't have all the fiber it in that will gum it up.

I haven't done this, but after the headache from my sweet potato beer, I'm trying this approach next. Makes sense in my head anyway

Back