Rhusthaller 1881 California Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this beer? I really didn't care for it. I thought it tasted no different than an over hopped up Stone product.

I was expecting more for 8$ a 22 ounce beer. The aromatics were very nice and fresh, of course being in CA I'm very close to the source. But it was not exactly a beer I could be wowed with.

The hop character was very harsh and uninviting. I thought that a 35IBU lower alcohol beer would be remarkably smooth and approachable. It was not.

I really like the estate grown beer concept in California. But I think there shouldn't be such a high price simply because it's grown locally. Big woop, barley and hops from a small plot...

I'm bummed out. I wanted to like paying more money for a mom and pop brewing operation but I feel like I got suckered into marketing. The beer was not that good.

It was just an overly hopped American style beer that did not have any unique estate characteristics.

I have had homebrew from brewers with less an two years experience brew something just as harsh without complexity. This is a big bummer. Let down beer of the year.

Latest posts

Back