Rhizomes vs Roots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobyMD

Reaction score
I'm moving and not taking my hop crowns with me. I'm selling them to a local homebrew shop to split up into rhizomes for customers. Today I pulled up all the crowns (big job!). The top half of the crown was budding all over with shoots but the bottom half was not. There were really big bottom roots and runners but no shoots on them. Are they not part of the rhizome or were they just too deep to have shoots?

If I/they cut off those bottom roots and plant them will they sprout and be used as a rhizome?

Thanks for passing on your knowledge!

The rhizomes are usually found within the top 6 inches of the soil and have rings of buds about every 4-6 inches along them (these are what are used to replant). The roots are found below these and have no buds. How many beers did you go through while digging!

As above, the upper ones with the buds are the rhizomes.

The remaining crown can like as not be split into two or more plants and be re-planted, but cutting up the roots is not like to accomplish much of use.

TeeJo

That is really helpful! Thanks! It was quite a process digging them all up. Some of the roots were 2" around!

Back