Review of wheat malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody. First let me say thanks to all the great questions and answers posted here. They have really helped me in my all grain brewing adventures. My question is has anyone used the Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pale Wheat and pilsner. Im looking to brew a hefe and am curious as to how they are and if they worked out well.

I love anything Weyermann. Quality maltster. It'll be great in a hefe.

I've used the Pale Wheat, and both of the Bo-Pils products. They both make excellent hefeweizen, as well as being all-around great base malts on their own. I would assume the floor malted wheat is similar.

I recall reading floor malted malts are less modified than the regular versions. If that's true you'll want to be sure to do a protein rest. I've done plenty of hefe's, and other beers too, with protein rests with the standard malts with no ill effect. Some say you get poor head retention with modern malts but I've not once experienced that.

Rev.

Ah yes the great protein rest debate. I've seen quite a few threads going back and forth on that. I am planning it. A protein rest is something I have yet to preform so my curiosity has peaked.

The sprouted barley is kiln-dried by spreading it on a perforated wooden floor. Smoke, coming from an oasting fireplace (via smoke channels) is then used to heat the wooden floor and the sprouted grains. The temperature is usually around 55 °C (131 °F). A typical floor maltings is a long, single-story building with a floor that slopes slightly from one end of the building to the other. I had no clue either just sounded interesting and from what I understand more traditional.

William:

Good question!

Floor malting refers to the germination step in the malting process.

To backup a bit, the malting process consists of 3 steps; steeping, germination and kilning or drying. The steeping is where dry grain from the field, such as barley, is steeped in water to imbibe the grain with water so it begins to germinate. Once germination starts, the grain is often moved to germination compartments where it is allowed to germinate at controlled temperatures and moisture. In floor malting, the steeped grain is spread out on the floor about 6 - 10 inches deep. The floor temperature cools the grain to control germination. the grain is turned by hand for even distribution of temperature during the germination process. Floor malting is the older method of malting. More modern malthouses have large compartments (Saladin box) where the grain is about 3 feet deep and the moisture and temeprature is controlled by large movements of humidified air. Once germination is complete, the malt is dried to a stable moisture, stopping the germination process. Depending on the type of malt and the color and flavor desired, the malt can be dried by kilning (oven style) or roasting or both.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank.

Dr Malt :mug:

Back